Featured Videos 2News Tipline Traffic Tipline






Top Stories

(KUTV) Former BYU quarterback and Arizona Cardinal Max Hall is facing charges of drug possession and shoplifting.

Police in Gilbert, Ariz., say Hall had a "personal-use quantity of cocaine" on him as well as stolen items from Best Buy and Walmart. He was arrested and released from jail pending "long-form charging."

Radio co-hosts Spencer Checketts and Gordon Monson of 1280 The Zone urged the public to have some empathy for the former star.

"I don't understand our societal need for a pound of flesh when somebody makes a mistake like this," Checketts said, referring to Hall's mug shot attached to offensive comments circulating on social media. "Look, if this is a kid has a [drug] problem, people need to reach out to him. They don't need to judge him. They don't need to laugh at him."

Hall had a short-lived stint with the Arizona Cardinals. Some consider him one of the top five BYU quarterbacks, he said.

College football fans likely remember Hall's rant in 2009, when said that he hated Utah and that the Utes were "classless." Checketts urged Utes fans to be respectful despite the opportunity for an easy insult.

"My hope is everybody - BYU fan, Utah fan, whatever - can look at this as a life situation that needs to be handled, not a comedic situation," said Checketts, who emphasized the need to address addiction.

Hall was most recently a high school football coach in Gilbert and was planning to start a training academy, Checketts said.

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXTine

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) West Jordan police say a lewdness suspect has turned himself in.

According to a tweet from the West Jordan Police Department, the investigation is ongoing and the man will be identified once all charges are filed.

Officers say on August 7, the man followed a female employee around the store at an Asian Food Market at 1653 West and 9000 South and exposed himself to her and committed lewd acts.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A Utah doctor convicted in November of killing his wife will be sentenced later this month.

A Provo judge set the sentencing for Martin MacNeill for September 19. He faces 15 years to life in prison for the 2007 death of his wife Michelle.

Sentencing had been delayed by a retrial request from MacNeill's attorney. A judge denied that motion.

MacNeill also faces up to 15 years in prison after he was convicted of sexually abusing his daughter in a separate case.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Despite a decline in nationwide crime, Utah authorities say they are seeing a rise in the number of business robberies, which they believe could be linked to an increase in local heroin use.

The FBI and Salt Lake, West Valley and Unified police are planning to meet for a violent crimes conference to discuss the issue Wednesday in Salt Lake City.

“Bank robberies were up almost 200 percent from the year before to now,” said FBI Special Agent Adam Quirk. “Probably over 90 percent are related to heroin addiction.”

Officials say the rising rate of heroin addiction in Utah is troubling and likely linked to a local crackdown on legal opioids like Vicodin, Oxycontin and Percocet.

“When that becomes too expensive or the prescription runs out, these offenders or people go to heroin,” said Salt Lake City Police Det. Matt Evans.

Evans says when these offenders run out of money, some of them rob banks to get cash quickly. He says they then give that cash to a dealer for another hit of heroin. Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank notes that about 90 percent of individuals who commit bank robbery are arrested.

The conference, authorities say, will help establish good relationships between agencies and the FBI and help prevent robberies.  

The violent crimes conference will run for three days and will also discuss homicide and missing person investigations, including the Susan Powell case.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(CNN) The ISIS terror group has published a video titled "A second message to America," showing the beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff.

The video also threatens the life of British captive, David Haines.

Sotloff speaks to the camera before he is killed, saying he is "paying the price" for U.S. intervention.

The masked ISIS figure in the video speaks to U.S. President Barack Obama, telling him, "Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."

Speaking on CNN moments after word of the Sotloff's murder, CNN's terrorism analyst Paul Cruickshank said that the method of killing -- beheading -- has a specific purpose for ISIS.

A video like the one showing Sotloff's killing "really energizes" supporters of ISIS and beheading is employed for "maximum propaganda" to "terrify" ISIS' enemies, Cruickshank said.

Last week, Sotloff's mother Shirley Sotloff released a video pleading with ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi not to kill her son.

"Steven is a journalist who traveled to the Middle East to cover the suffering of Muslims at the hands of tyrants. Steven is a loyal and generous son, brother and grandson," she said. "He is an honorable man and has always tried to help the weak."

Sotloff appeared last month in an ISIS video showing the decapitation of another American journalist, James Foley. The militant in the video warned that Sotloff's fate depended on what President Barack Obama did next in Iraq.

Steven Sotloff disappeared while reporting from Syria in August 2013, but his family kept the news secret, fearing harm to him if they went public.

Out of public view, the family and a number of government agencies have been trying to gain Sotloff's release for the past year.

Sotloff, 31, grew up in South Florida with his mother, father and younger sister. He majored in journalism at the University of Central Florida. His personal Facebook page lists musicians like the Dave Matthews Band, Phish, Miles Davis and movies like "Lawrence of Arabia" and "The Big Lebowski" as favorites. On his Twitter page, he playfully identifies himself as a "stand-up philosopher from Miami."

In 2004, Sotloff left UCF and moved back to the Miami area.

He graduated from another college, began taking Arabic classes and subsequently picked up freelance writing work for a number of publications, including Time, Foreign Policy, World Affairs and the Christian Science Monitor. His travels took him to Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey -- among other countries -- and eventually Syria.

CNN's Christiane Amanpour said that Sotloff's killing will step up pressure on Obama to devise a strategy to combat ISIS.

On Friday, Obama said it's too soon to discuss what steps the U.S. would take against the militant group inside Syria. On how to deal with the group in Syria -- where it was born and has a safe haven, mostly in the city of Raqqa -- the president said: "We don't have a strategy yet."

Obama said on Friday that he has asked America's top defense officials to prepare "a range of options."

On Tuesday, White House spokesman John Earnest spoke to reporters in the moments after word came about Sotloff's killing.

"This is something that the administration has obviously been watching very carefully since this threat against Mr. Sotloff's life was originally made a few weeks ago," Earnest said. "Our thoughts and prayers first and foremost are with Mr. Sotloff and Mr. Sotloff's family and those who worked with him."

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(KUTV) Salina police are searching for a suspected armed woman following a pursuit and car accident Tuesday afternoon.

Police have identified the suspect as 27-year-old Ariel Morris of California. They say drug paraphernalia was found in her car during a vehicle stop on her silver car early Tuesday afternoon.

After the discovery was made, police say the woman and a male got in the car and headed north on Highway 89 and then turned on Highway 256 and went into Redmond City. The vehicle crashed and both suspects fled on foot.

The male was apprehended at the scene, but the female was able to get away from officers. She was last seen running on foot in the northern part of Redmond City.

Police say Morris is described as five feet tall, weighing 110 pounds, and has dark brown hair, brown eyes, and tattoos on her legs and arms. They say she is also wearing dark shorts and a dark tank top.

Police say Morris is wanted out of California for robbery. She is considered to be armed and dangerous. Police say the public is encouraged not to approach the suspect.

Salina police, the Sevier County Sheriff and Utah Highway Patrol are involved in the search.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A young couple in Utah County says they can’t believe they are going to have quadruplets. 

"It's really exciting," said the mother Ashley Gardner. "It's so hard to describe because it's so exciting and so terrifying all in one emotion."

"Oh my gosh, it's exciting," said Tyson Gardner, Ashley's husband. "It's been a dream of what we've always wanted since we've been married to have a family."

Ashley and Josh told 2News they didn't expect their family would jump from two to six overnight.

The Gardner’s found out they were pregnant with quadruplets on July 3, after nine years of marriage together. The two say they started trying to have kids a year after they were married, but Ashley could not get pregnant. A couple of years ago they started to go to a fertility clinic and doctors were able to successfully plant two embryos inside Ashley.

"[The doctor] said ‘oh great we have twins,’ which is what we were hoping for and then she got quiet and said hold on for a second," said Tyson.  "After about a minute, which seemed like an hour, she said there is four in there! Ashley almost fell off the table and I almost fell over."

"They split, which means we have two sets of identical twins, which is super rare," said Ashley.

The doctors tell 2News there’s about a one in 300,000 chance of embryos splitting.

The Gardner’s are starting early to prepare for their little ones to arrive. Already they are starting to build up the supplies and read up on what it takes to raise quads. This young couple says they would have it no other way.  For years they've watched other families, now they get to finally start their own.

"It's just really emotional to think about that it's finally my turn," said a tear-eyed Ashley.  "Everything, just changing their diapers listening to them scream, all of it, everything about being a mother it's just something I've always wanted. I think you appreciate it so much more and it's just that much sweeter when you've worked for it for so long."

"Overwhelming joy without a doubt," said Tyson, who says they've couldn't have done it without all the love and support of family and friends.

"Our support system and our faith has taken us to where we are right now," said Tyson. "You have to thank God."

Ashley is 13 weeks along and the next 15 weeks in the pregnancy are critical.  In fact, doctors are calling her pregnancy extremely high risk.  The goal is to get to 28 weeks or more.  Ashley is being monitored every week and is expected to end up on bed rest in the hospital for a couple of months.

The Gardner’s say they will not know the sex of the quads for a few more weeks, so they are waiting until then to get serious about names.

Family and friends are rallying around the Gardner’s with fundraisers.

For more information and to follow them on Facebook visit:  https://www.facebook.com/gardnerquads?ref=ts&fref=ts.

By: Dan Rascon

Follow Dan on Twitter: @DanKUTV

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The ZAP Tax, which takes one tenth of one percent of everything purchased and gives it to the arts and recreation in Salt Lake County, is up for re-authorization and will end if voters do not approve of it in November.

Ballet West receives $950,000 and Hogle Zoo receives $2.3 million from the tax.

“Every 10 years, we have to reauthorize the ZAP tax,” said Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams.

McAdams claims opinion polls show most Salt Lake residents like the tax and the arts. He fears this year supporters of the tax may stay home while opponents of the tax will go to the polls.
(KUTV) Summit County Search and Rescue crews are looking for a 20-year-old man in the Rock Port State Park area.

Authorities say Halden Efren was involved in a verbal confrontation with a female companion at around 10 a.m. Sunday while camping at Rock Port State Park. After the confrontation, police say Efren walked away from the camp and has not been seen since.

Friends believed Efren had walked away to cool off, but when he did not return, they reported him as missing.

Efren is five feet, five inches tall, 170 pounds, and has brown eyes and short brown hair. He was last seen wearing a red T-shirt, gray shorts, sandals, a small backpack, and a baseball hat with a Chicago Bulls logo.

Efren is from Micronesia and does not speak English. Police say he has been in the United States for less than a month.

Approximately 20 SAR members and the Department of Public Safety are currently searching for Efren.

Anyone who sees Efren or might have picked him up in the Rock Port area is asked to contact the Summit County Sheriff's Office at 435-615-3600.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Search and rescue crews are looking for Charles Darrell Thomas, 69, who went missing after his boat capsized in the Flaming Gorge Reservoir Monday afternoon.

Utah State Parks rangers say Thomas and a 62-year-old woman were on a small boat with an electric motor headed from the Antelope Flats area to Lucerne Marina. The winds gusts in the area made conditions difficult and the boat capsized.

The woman was able to make it to shore on a floatation device, but the man did not. The woman reported the man missing at about 4 p.m. Monday.

The names of the female survivor as well as the male victim are not being released by police at this time.

Uintah County Search and Rescue and dive team is on the scene. The Public Safety dive team along with State Parks, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, and Sweetwater County Search and Rescue of Wyoming will be joining the search Tuesday morning.

2News will continue to update this story with more information as soon as it becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Photo Courtesy: Utah Division of Parks & Recreation

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The missing dirt biker in Pleasant Grove has been found.

John Parker, 39, from Orem was found by a fixed wing pilot on Tuesday morning in the mountains east of Pleasant Grove.  

AirMed was called in and they were able to lift Parker off the mountain and to an ambulance.

Parker got lost Monday and came upon some cliffs; he left his bike and went looking for open ground.

He then decided to wait for help in a nearby field.

Parker is being evaluated by Pleasant Grove Medical. They say he is not injured, but was exposed to the elements due to the chilly temperatures in the mountains overnight.

The motorcycle is still up in the mountains at this time, and officials say he will work with the Forest Service to get it back.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Salt Lake County's Zap tax will be on the ballot for re-authorization this November.

If voters don't support the one-tenth-of-one-percent sales tax, it will go away.

Rod Decker spoke with Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams about what will happen if the tax goes away.
(KUTV) Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes says he's contemplating suing the federal government for control of federal lands.

It's just one of many options Reyes is considering in hopes of the state taking control and managing the land.

In order to be successful he says Utah must be "strategic". Reyes is also trying to negotiate for the land with leaders in Washington DC.

State legislators demanded control of federal lands by passing a law during the 2012 legislative session.

Reyes says a lands lawsuit won't take place until sometime in 2015.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) September 1 marks the one year anniversary of the death of Draper Police Sgt. Derek Johnson, who was shot and killed in the line of duty.

A few hundred people attended a remembrance ceremony for Sgt. Johnson at Draper Historic Park Monday night.

"September 1, 2013 forever changed many lives," said Draper Police Chief Bryan Roberts, addressing the crowd of family and friends and unrelated residents that came out to pay their respects. "It forever changed the Draper City Police Department."

Mayor Troy Walker proclaimed September 1 as "Sergeant Johnson Remembrance Day" and he urged all employees and citizens of Draper City to celebrate their fallen hero.

Johnson was fatally shot a year ago, moments after finishing his patrol shift, while trying to help a couple that appeared to be stranded on the side of the road.

"I can sit up here and say thank you all night long," said Derek's wife, Shante, thanking the community for support. "You will never know how much I love you and how much it means to me."

Shante shared personal stories about Derek, much of them through tears.

Many of her words drew laughter, like when she mentioned her and Derek's son Benson and finally getting pregnant. "You were really hard to get buddy, but it was fun trying," she told her son, in front of a laughing audience.

In a more private interview with 2News, Shante explained how difficult Derek's death has been for her to deal with.

"It's more raw now that a year has gone," she said. "A year ago I was in shock and a year ago I was numb. This year it's all here."

The family has organized a Fallen Officers Memorial Run for Saturday, September 13.

Sgt. Johnson's killer, Timothy Walker, was sentenced to life in prison last July.

By: Chris Miller

Follow Chris on Twitter @ChrisMillerKUTV

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A movement to boycott a popular restaurant is gaining momentum in Utah.

The hashtag #CutTheCarls urges people to avoid Carl's Jr. because of how the company's ads portray women.

"We've been thinking about doing a campaign against Carl's Jr. or about Carl's Jr. for a long time," said Lexie Kite, co-director of the non-profit group Beauty Redefined, which is based in Utah. She runs the group with her twin sister, Lindsay.

With regard to the racy ads, Lexie Kite has a message for Carl's Jr.

"Women are more than bodies. Women cannot just be treated and used and abused and looked at. We are more than objects," she said.

The Kite sisters are pushing the hashtags #CutTheCarls and #MoreThanMeat and they're trying to get men on board.

"Their target is 18 to 35-year-old men," said Kite of the restaurant's marketing focus. "That's why my husband got involved because he is disgusted by the way women are portrayed. So we need more men to speak up."

It is not likely Carl's Jr. will stop airing the ads. In the past, the company has strongly defended its use of "hot celebrities" and models to sell its product. In fact, in an April 2011 news release, the company said, "We believe in putting hot models in our commercials, because ugly ones don't sell burgers."

(To read the full news release, visit http://www.carlsjr.com/company/releases/carls-jr-and-hardees-offer-no-bs-and-thats-just-the-way-it-is)

The ads don't bother everyone.

"I think those commercials are great," said Darius Herron of Salt Lake City. "I don't see anything offensive with it. It's beautiful people eating beautiful food."

In fact, Herron has just one complaint.

"I just wish the burgers would add up to the commercials, how they look on the commercials, because it's like a mismatch there," he said.

The Kite sisters hope their message will resonate and cause more people to respond to Carl's Jr. with their wallets.

"This is one way that men can really stand up in this fight for all of the girls and women that they know and love," said Kite.

2News reached out to Carl's Jr. for comment, but they did not return our calls.

To read the blog post about #CutTheCarls from Beauty Redefined, visit http://www.beautyredefined.net/cut-the-carls/.

By Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter @Danielmwoodruff

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A 28-year-old Clearfield woman is dead following a motorcycle crash Monday in Weber County.

Deputies say the woman was riding on Trappers Loop Road when she got separated from her group. Witnesses say they saw the woman speeding and she lost control of the bike on a corner and crashed.

A medical helicopter was called, but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Officials say she was wearing a helmet.

The woman's name is not being released at this time.

Investigators believe excessive speed was a factor in the crash.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Photo Credit: MGN Online

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The wife of a police officer shot and killed in Draper one year ago, says her family couldn't have made it without the love and support of the community.

The family held a special memorial service Monday at 7 p.m. at Draper Historic Park for Sgt. Derek Johnson to honor his legacy and thank the community for helping them make it through this crisis.

"He was a good man and he was genuine in what he did and he loved what he did," said a very emotional Shante Johnson, Derek's wife of 14 years. "I've shared almost my whole life with him."

The two met in junior high school and married in September 2000. Their son was 6-years-old when Johnson lost his life on September 1, 2013.  It happened just before 6:00 a.m. at 13200 South and 900 East in Draper. Johnson was just finishing up his final graveyard shift when he pulled over to check on what he thought was a broken down car.
The driver, Timothy Troy Walker, shot and killed Johnson as he walked up to the car. Walker pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison in July. One year after the shooting, Shante says the pain has not gotten any easier. She says it's harder.

"I hate it. It feels like yesterday and I can't believe it's been a year. And I hate all the unsaid quite expectations that a year brings," said Shante.  "It's more raw now that a year is gone then it was a year ago. A year ago, I was in shock. A year ago, I was numb and this year it's all here."

Emotions have also been up and down over the man who took her husband's life.

"At the end of the day I have to live my life. And I can't worry about someone else and I can't be that person," Shante said.

The only way Shante says she has been able to cope is because of the loving support of family and friends and the community.
"I've just been so loved," said Shante. "It's important to us to tell our community the people who embraced us and carried us through last year."

On Saturday, September 13, the family is organizing a Fallen Officers Memorial Run where everyone is being asked to dress up like a favorite super hero.
For more information on the Fallen Officers Memorial Run, visit www.FallenMemorialRun.com

By: Dan Rascon

Follow Dan on Twitter: @DanKUTV

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Utah AFL-CIO hosted the 14th annual Labor Day picnic and car show at Magna-Copper Park on Monday.

Local unions barbecued, live bands offered free music and kids played carnival games.

The purpose of the picnic is to celebrate Utah workers and the progress unions have made, said Dale Cox, president of the Utah AFL-CIO.

"We've got 5,000, going on 10,000 working men and women here today," Cox said. "A lot of them are union families, and it goes from generation to generation."

Kayden Holmes, who attended the event with his family and friends, said he came to play games but recognizes the significance of the barbecue and the holiday that became nationally recognized 120 years ago.

"I'm here for Labor Day, celebrating the American workers and stuff like that," Kayden said.

With the still-rebounding economy and workforce in post-recession days, Utah's workers and unions could make more strides, Cox said.

"We continue to work for working men and women in this state, in this country," Cox said. "Sometimes we make some progress, sometimes we lose."

But Brad Asay, president of the Utah American Federation of Teachers, said Utah's unions have more impact on the state than most people realize.

"A lot of people say, because it's a right-to-work state, maybe union sentiment or feelings for its unions are not strong," Asay said. "But right here witnesses to how many workers we really have and how many people are in support of unions."
(KUTV) The Salt Lake Mission held their annual Labor Day BBQ Monday at Pioneer Park serving breakfast and lunch to the area's homeless and families in need of a warm meal, but did so with a new twist.

This year, organizers decided they would make it a double holiday celebrating everyone's birthday. There were balloons for the kids along with face painting and lots of treats.

The idea was to make everyone feel loved and appreciated since many don't have the means or family to celebrate special occasions, officials at the event said.

At the event, there was a raffle for prizes and donated clothes were handed out.

The Salt Lake Mission says there is a need for more warm coats and mittens, especially men's sizes. For more information on how to donate, visit: http://www.saltlakecitymission.org.

By: Heidi Hatch

Follow Heidi on Twitter @tvheidihatch

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Doris Moir says she has been happy with her Vivint home alarm system for many years. She signed up when the company was called APX.

Doris says that around the time APX changed its name to Vivint, a man knocked on her door.

"One day a man came to the door and said APX has sold out to Vivint and I'm here to update the equipment," Doris said.

The man was not from Vivint. He was from another company called Silverline Security. When the salesman left she says she signed what she thought was a work order but was in fact a new contract. The contract commits Doris to pay a new company, Safe Home Security, for home monitoring.

It resulted in Doris paying two bills every month - one to Vivint and one to Safe Home.

Doris says that the money was automatically debited from her bank account so she did not notice the double billing for nearly two years.  When she did notice, she says she called Safe Home Security to try and cancel and maybe get a refund.

No luck, however. Doris continued to pay for a service for which she says she was tricked into signing up.

Doris' is not the first call Get Gephardt has received from home alarm customers complaining about being misled by Silverline Security salespeople. In 2012, around the time a man appeared at Doris' door, we reported that the company had been facing complaints in other states across the country, including Louisiana. There, Silverline had been cited with 13 counts of engaging in false, misleading or deceptive acts or practices where salespeople pretended to be from another company. As a result, Louisiana has fined Silverline and temporarily banned them from doing business in their state.

Silverline was also fined in Utah for having salespeople that were not properly licensed.

Since then, state and court records show the company has moved from their Sandy, Utah office to one in Midvale, had some management changes and declared bankruptcy.

Back in March, under new management since our last report, Silverline defended their contract saying Doris knew exactly for what she was signing up for and they provided a "quality assurance call" to prove it, in which Doris is recorded answering questions.

The person on the phone identifies himself as, "calling on behalf of Silverline Security and Safeguard America." He asks Doris several questions, including whether or not she had an old system and if the equipment from that old system had been left. Doris mentions several times throughout the call that she is having trouble hearing or understanding the questions.

In March, Get Gephardt asked Silverline Security for an on camera interview so we could ask about Doris' situation and specifically why a person would want or need two home alarm systems for one home. The company refused and instead sent a threatening email that reads, in part, "Silverline Security LLC currently is in the midst of a reorganization under chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code.  Section 362(a) of the Bankruptcy Code statutorily prohibits and enjoins various acts against the company, including ‘any act to collect, assess, or recover a claim against the debtor.’  The complaint you received from Doris Moir and have threatened to air is not only false, but the airing of the complaint would constitute a violation of the automatic stay.  Both KUTV and Doris Moir could be held liable for actual and punitive damages for willfully violating the bankruptcy stay."

KUTV's lawyer disagreed.

More recent calls to Silverline Security were not returned.

Get Gephardt also contacted Safe Home Security which had been collecting on Doris' second alarm contract. At first they too stood by charging Doris for the second alarm.
"She was rendered service," a Safe Home Security spokesperson said. "We gave her service for two years."

Safe Home Security directed our questions back to Silverline Security and suggested that if a refund were due it should come from Vivint because they have proof they have been providing service to Doris for two years. But it seems they had a change of heart. After our calls, Doris says she got a surprising phone call from Safe Home Security. She says the monitoring company has decided to give her a full refund for the more than two years she's been paying on the second alarm system.

Doris says she also contacted Vivint, which told her that hers was not a unique story. They told Doris and confirmed to Get Gephardt that they had received numerous complaints of Silverline Security salespeople claiming to be with Vivint to gain access to Vivint customers' homes.

Doris says that Vivint agreed to stop collecting on her contract with Vivint for several months while continuing to monitor her home so she would not be double billed going forward.

By Matt Gephardt
Produced by Cindy St. Clair
Edited by Steven Gayle
Photography by Brian Morris
Michelle Poe contributed to this story.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A burglar broke into Vista Elementary school in Taylorsville around 6 a.m. Monday.

Unified police responded to an alarm call from the school when they found an adult male dressed in black when they arrived. The suspect fled through the south doors and took off running eastbound. Officers set up containment in effort to catch the suspect, but were unable to find him. The man was running away from officers so fast, he left his shoes behind.

Further investigation found the man had broken into a window and gathered up computer equipment and food from the school. When the man ran off, he left all the goods behind.

If you have any information on the suspect, call Unified police at 801-743-7000.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Police are searching for a suspect who shot a man in Midvale early Monday morning.

Unified Police were called to 7200 S. 300 E. for reports of shots fired just after 1 a.m. Monday.

When police arrived, they found a white Cadillac with a broken window and a trail of blood. Officers followed the blood to an apartment where they found a man who had been shot.

The man was taken to the hospital where he is in serious condition.

Police say it is too early to say if the shooting is gang related, but they have several witnesses and are looking for a suspect.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The University of Utah opened a new campus in South Korea Monday.

The University of Utah Asia Campus is located in Songdo, South Korea. Students from around the world can participate in three majors at the campus, including communications, social work and psychology.

The university's president traveled to the school for the first day.

"We see this as similar to the time when the pioneers in the early 1850s came to Utah," said University of Utah President David Pershing. "These students and faculty are pioneering a new concept here in Korea."

Utah students who attend the Asia campus pay in-state tuition.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Two hikers were rescued off of Mt. Timpanogos after experiencing medical problems on Monday.

Deputies with the Utah County Sheriff’s Officer were dispatched to the area around 4 a.m. A 26-year-old woman began her hike around 1 a.m. at the Aspen Grove Trailhead when she started experiencing medical problems about 2.8 miles up the trail. The Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue reached the woman around 6 a.m. She was airlifted to a local hospital due to her condition.

The woman is from California, but has been living in Utah for several months. She had preexisting medical problems prior to the hike.

While rescuing the woman, officials found another woman in her 20’s who had collapsed from dehydration. Emergency officials treated her and assisted her down the mountain.

Photo credit: MGN Online

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Police in Bluffdale are investigating an apparent case of "Swatting" Sunday night.

Police say a person called in a fake 911 call in order to prompt a SWAT team response at a home near 1500 South 900 West around 9 p.m. The caller claimed there was a murder and a hostage situation.

Police surrounded the home, only to discover it was a hoax. Officials say the caller was trying to get revenge on a player of an online video game at the home.

When police find the caller, they say the person could possibly face federal charges for the fake call.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A man escaped unhurt after his car was hit by a train in West Valley.

West Valley police say a Kennecot train was driving slowly through a subdivision near 6000 West 4442 South when a car began to cross the tracks.

There are no lights at the intersection and the driver did not see the train. The train blew its horn, but the driver still crossed. The back of the car was hit and the side airbags deployed.

Police say the driver was not hurt in the accident.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Two unlicensed teenage drivers carrying juvenile passengers crashed vehicles and fled the scenes in two separate accidents, just hours apart, Utah authorities said Sunday.

Stemming from the first incident, a 14-year-old boy was placed in juvenile detention after stealing a relative's car and rolling it Sunday morning with two pre-teens inside, Unified police said.
"It was an uncle's car that was loaned to the mother. Apparently, once the mother fell asleep, this juvenile took the car," said Unified Police Det. Ken Hansen. "He failed to negotiate a corner. He was too fast for that particular corner, and he probably didn't have a lot of experience driving."

The teenage boy rolled the car around 4 a.m. at 8400 W. State Route 48, just outside Copperton, Hansen said. Police received a report that the car had crashed and three juveniles had fled the scene.

Investigators called a state helicopter to begin searching the area. Within an hour, South Jordan police found them at 110 S. Mountain View Corridor.

The juveniles were taken to the hospital to be checked out. No one sustained serious injuries. Officers released the pre-teens to their parents, while the teenager was booked into juvenile detention as charges are pending.

Charges will likely include felony joyriding, Hansen said.

In West Valley City Sunday night, a 17-year-old boy who does not have a driver's license took his parent's car out with four teenage passengers, according to West Valley City Police Lt. Lamonte Cox.

He took a corner too quickly at 3400 Jester Dr., and smashed into a mailbox, a light pole and a parked truck, Cox said.

No one was hurt. All five teens allegedly fled. A homeowner chased them down until police arrived.

The driver was cited for driving without a license, failure to maintain control of a vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident.

He was released to his parents and must appear in juvenile court, Cox said.

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXTine

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A bizarre jewelry theft led to the arrests of two people in Utah County this weekend after authorities said a man stole a valuable ring from Orem's University Mall, and then a woman in the getaway car swallowed it when confronted by police.

At approximately 7:30 p.m. Friday, the male suspect entered a Zales jewelry store in the mall and asked to see a ring worth several thousand dollars. The Zales employee said the man took the ring and left the store, and was last seen leaving the parking lot in a white Pontiac with a female at the wheel.

Approximately 30 minutes later, a Utah Valley University police officer pulled over a vehicle matching the suspect vehicle description at an apartment complex at 400 W. 1386 S. in Orem. The employee from the Zales store was taken to the complex and identified the man, Bryan Ford, 29, as the one who had taken the ring from the mall. Ford and the female driver of the vehicle, Christina Schlegel, 25, were both arrested.

At the police station, authorities said officers could not determine the whereabouts of the stolen ring. According to officials, police were sent on multiple wild goose chases by the suspects, and ultimately discovered that Schlegel had swallowed the ring when the pair were initially pulled over by the UVU officer.

Schlegel was taken to a hospital where an x-ray determined that the ring was indeed in her gastrointestinal tract.

Ford and Schlegel were each booked into the Utah County Jail and charged with felony theft.

Photo: Orem Dept. of Public Safety

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A 28-year-old woman was flown to a Salt Lake area hospital on Sunday afternoon after her vehicle crashed along Interstate 80 in Tooele County, authorities said.

The woman was driving her vehicle in the westbound lanes of I-80 just before 3:30 p.m. Sunday, police said, when a tire blew out. She crossed into the oncoming traffic lanes and ended up completely off the highway. The vehicle came to a stop approximately 100 feet off the Interstate, officials said.

Paramedics responded to the scene, which was at mile-marker 59, and summoned a medical helicopter to take the woman to a hospital.

The woman complained of abdominal pains and arrived at the hospital in serious condition, officials said. Authorities said her injuries are not life-threatening.

No one else was riding in the vehicle and no other vehicles were involved.

Photo: Utah Highway Patrol

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Salt Lake City police responded to a strange stabbing incident in the Sugar House area on Sunday after a man riding a bike was attacked there, authorities said.

According to police, the 20-year-old victim rode his bike up to some bystanders near Fairmont Park at approximately 4:30 p.m. Sunday and told them he'd just been stabbed. When officers arrived, they discovered a stab wound in the man's abdomen.

However, Salt Lake City Police Lt. James Tracy said the victim's story may be at odds with what some of the witnesses told them. The victim claimed that he was stabbed by a stranger, but witnesses told police they didn't see anyone else in the area.

Investigators said the stabbing victim may not be telling the whole story, and it's possible that he knows his attacker.

The bicyclist was transported to a Salt Lake area hospital but his injuries are not life-threatening, officials said.

Detectives continue to investigate the incident.

Photo: MGN Online

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
CEDAR CITY, Utah (AP) A 39-year-old man has pleaded guilty to second-degree felony theft charges for embezzling nearly $700,000 from his employer.

Under a plea deal with the Iron County Attorney's Office, 39-year-old Nathan Esplin will receive a one-year jail sentence and 36 months of probation.

His attorney, Jack Burns, told The Spectrum of St. George Esplin also has already lived up to an agreement to repay $500,000 to Leavitt Group Enterprises.

Esplin signed a promissory note to pay another $150,000 to Traveler's Insurance, which paid that amount in a claim to the company.

According to court records, Esplin took $682,342 over a nine-year period by 2014 while employed as treasurer and chief accounting officer of the company.

Burns says Esplin admitted to the embezzlement when confronted by his employer.


Information from: The Spectrum, http://www.thespectrum.com

Photo: MGN Online

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Two more deaths on Utah's roads on Saturday underscored the concern of the Utah Highway Patrol, as dozens of additional troopers stepped up patrols for the final holiday weekend of the summer.

Two people were involved in a deadly crash on Highway 89 in Kane County Saturday afternoon, where the Utah Highway Patrol said a vehicle drifted into the oncoming traffic lane and struck another vehicle head-on. Officials said the crash occurred near the town of Big Water.

Jay Russell, 53, the driver of the vehicle that drifted into the oncoming lane, was not wearing a seatbelt and died from his injuries, investigators said. Richard Nutt, 78, the driver of the other car, was wearing a seatbelt but later died from his injuries. Authorities said. Russell was from Page, Ariz. and Nutt was from Douglas, Ga.

No one else was riding in either vehicle, officials said.

The deaths came as Utah Highway Patrol troopers stepped up patrols to deter people from driving drunk or committing other types of safety violations. The Labor Day holiday is the final holiday weekend of the summer and the culmination of the so-called '100 Deadliest Days in Utah.'

"Hopefully, everyone can enjoy their weekend and do it safely," said UHP Trooper Brian Schultz. "We had a lot more fatalities these last 100 days than we would have liked."

The time between Memorial Day and Labor Day are considered the 100 Deadliest Days in Utah, and in that time nearly 100 people have been killed on Utah roads -- several more than 2013's total during that same time.

That's precisely why the Utah Highway Patrol is stepping up trooper presence this weekend, with approximately 260 additional troopers patrolling the roads. They are looking out for all kinds of trouble -- not the least of which is drunk driving.

"Our ultimate goal is to keep the roads safe," Schultz said. "To get those who have chosen to act irresponsibly, and drive while impaired, off the road before they hurt someone."

Troopers are also actively watching out for speeders, distracted and drowsy drivers, and people not wearing their seatbelts. And if they see anything suspicious, they say they will act fast.

"Slow down. Move over for us. Give us some space. Let us do our job so we can get everyone home safe," Schultz said.

By: Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter @Danielmwoodruff

Photo: Utah Highway Patrol

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A man officials say attempted to elude sheriff's deputies Friday, following a traffic stop near Utah's border with Arizona, suddenly died while he was being taken into custody, authorities said Saturday.

At approximately 8:40 p.m. Friday, deputies with the Mohave County Sheriff's Office said they attempted to make a traffic stop on the man, who was riding a motorcycle without a rear license plate near the Beaver Dam -- approximately 30 miles southwest of St. George. The man pulled over, jumped from his bike and headed into the desert on foot, officials said.

Deputies ultimately found the man hiding in some brush and placed him under arrest. Officials said the man was combative during his arrest, which required two different officers to use a Taser in order to get the suspect under control. As the man was being led back to a patrol car, officials said he began to show signs of distress and eventually stopped breathing. Deputies immediately began CPR and called for paramedics at the scene.

Paramedics applied emergency medical care to the suspect but he ultimately died at the scene, deputies said. Two deputies received minor injuries and were treated at a nearby hospital.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety will conduct an investigation into the incident. The man was not immediately identified but officials said he was a white male in his 40s. It also isn't known yet exactly why the man fled from deputies.

In accordance with the Mohave County Sheriff's Office policy, the deputies involved will be placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

Photo: MGN Online/Scott Davidson/File

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) It's Labor Day weekend, but there is no holiday rest for hard working sheepdogs.

Dozens of border collies are spending their "vacation" herding sheep at Soldier Hollow.

Photojournalist Megan Thackrey takes us to the annual sheepdog championships.

(KUTV) Former West Valley City Mayor Dennis Nordfelt died on Saturday at the age of 71, the town's current mayor said.

Nordfelt was West Valley City's mayor between 2002 and 2010. Before that, he was the city's chief of police.

Current West Valley City Mayor Ron Bigelow expressed sorrow on Saturday over Nordfelt's passing:

"It was with great sorrow that I learned that our former West Valley City Mayor and Police Chief Dennis Nordfelt passed away (Saturday).  He spent many years serving this community and his efforts helped shape our city and made it stronger.  His positive influence was also felt far beyond our city in programs, events and especially in the lives of many people in our state.  He leaves a tremendous legacy for all of us.  On behalf of the city, I want to offer our condolences to his family and express our support to them during this time."

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Polygamy is back in the news after a finalized ruling by a federal judge in Utah came out earlier this week.

Federal Judge Clark Waddoups on Wednesday ruled in favor of the stars of the TLC reality show Sister Wives back in December of 2013, essentially striking down Utah's anti-polygamy law.

Kody Brown and his wives sued the state of Utah after a county prosecutor threatened to charge them under the state's bigamy law. Waddoups ruled the law forbidding cohabitation violates the Brown's freedom of religion. He did not strike down the part of the statute that prevents someone from having more than one active marriage license.

On Wednesday, the judge's final decision reiterated his initial ruling and, among other things, ordered that the plaintiffs - Brown and his four wives a be awarded attorneys' fees, costs and all court expenses incurred.

At a monthly press conference Thursday, Gov. Gary Herbert was asked about the ruling.

"I think it's probably not good policy and good practice for families to have that sort of situation. So, that's my own provincial view of traditional marriage. But, it's something that doesn't seem to be enforced, has not been enforced and I think that's a part of the reason why the courts ruled the way they ruled."

Attorney General Sean Reyes said in February he would appeal the federal court ruling when it became final.

Friday, his spokeswoman issued the following statement on his behalf:  "The Attorney General's Office is currently reviewing Judge Waddoups' ruling of Brown v. Herbert and will make a final determination of whether or not to appeal one or more of the issues in the decision within the coming weeks.  It is important to legally assess the ruling's scope and how it will impact future litigation."

Reyes' office has 30 days to decide whether or not to appeal.

To see Judge Waddoup's decision in the case, which was issued Wednesday, CLICK HERE.

By Amy Nay

Follow Amy on Twitter @AmyNay2News

Photo: TLC/File

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A man wanted on a felony warrant was arrested in Midvale on Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

Christopher Krigbaum, 36, was taken into custody near 6800 South 400 West. During a search of his vehicle, police also found methamphetamine inside, according to Unified Police Lt. Steve Shreeve.

Shreeve said a patrol officer spotted a suspicious vehicle traveling in an area known for drug activity. After running a check of the license plate, the officer learned the car's owner, Krigbaum, had a felony warrant out for a firearms violation, as well as a shoplifting warrant.

The officer pulled the car over and took Krigbaum and several other people into custody, officials said.

Krigbaum will be charged with possession of a controlled substance in addition to the outstanding warrants against him, according to Shreeve. The other people inside the car were released. 

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Utah authorities are trying to finish the so-called 100 Deadliest Days in Utah this weekend, by deterring as many people as possible from driving under the influence.

The Utah Highway Patrol has dedicated dozens of additional troopers to that cause for the Labor Day weekend, which is the final holiday of the summer. The holiday also culminates the 100 Deadliest Days in Utah, a time during the summer when DUI-related deaths statistically spike.

Friday night alone, troopers said they arrested 14 people along the Wasatch Front. And this year has been even deadlier than last year, officials said, as five more people were killed during this span than in 2013. The Fourth of July holiday was especially bad, as nine people died in crashes that weekend.

However, troopers said they aren't only looking for drunk drivers. They will also be on the lookout for other infractions, like speeding and failing to buckle up.

"There's going to be a lot more of us out on the road," said UHP Trooper Brian Shultz. "Keep an eye out and please slow down. Move over for us, give us some space. Let us do our job so we can get everyone home safe."

The Utah Highway Patrol said it has an extra 266 patrols out for the Labor Day weekend.

By Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter @Danielmwoodruff

Photo: MGN Online/Jason Brown/File

Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Utah Gov. Gary Herbert is working on a plan to allow the state's impoverished to receive federally-funded health care coverage, but with one stipulation: They must find work.

Under Herbert's 'Healthy Utah' plan, the state would take federal funds to help needy residents acquire health care coverage. And he believes those who receive it should be employed.

"If you want taxpayers to subsidize you and buy you health insurance, you need to look for a job," Herbert said.

However, Herbert added that the requirement won't apply to everyone, just the able-bodied.

"We would give a pass to those with a physical disability, mental disability," he said.

U.S. Health and Human Services chief Sylvia Burwell acknowledged that Utah can indeed negotiate its own plan for covering the state's needy. However, she said the work requirement poses a stumbling block.

The state government has hired attorneys who claim that the work requirement will not pose an obstacle because they are allowed by law.

"We do it with food stamps. We do it with temporary assistance," Herbert said.

Regardless of what program Utah will ultimately offer impoverished residents, it will need to be negotiated by both Gov. Herbert and Secretary Burwell.

Photo: MGN Online/Sean Buckley/File

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Authorities have solved the mystery over how a bloodied, drunken man entered a state capitol building in the wee hours of the morning.

The Utah Highway Patrol, which provides security of the Capitol grounds, says the 24-year-old Layton man was too inebriated to remember how he gained entry Friday.

UHP Sgt. Todd Royce says a review of security camera video showed the door apparently was left unlocked for about 30 minutes after an employee left on a break.

Royce told The Salt Lake Tribune the intruder then entered through the unlocked door.

The man, whose name wasn't released, was found lying semi-conscious in a lobby about 4:30 a.m. after attending Thursday night's Utah-Idaho State football game.

Charges are pending against him, and he was released to his father.

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
TAYLORSVILLE, Utah (AP) Unified Police Chief Tracy Wyant has been cleared in an Aug. 1 shooting that wounded a Taylorsville man.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill announced Friday that Wyant's use of deadly force was justified because 31-year-old Jared Roskelley had threatened him and others with death or serious injury.

Gill says Roskelley drew his gun and ignored officers' orders not to touch his weapon.

Roskelley's mother called 911 to report he was on drugs and had fired a gun toward the home.

Roskelley was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

Also Friday, Gill announced West Jordan Officer Ian Adams was justified when he shot and wounded 31-year-old Timothy Peterson at a shopping center on July 10.

Gill says Peterson fled from Adams and drew what looked like a gun.

Photo: MGN Online

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Police are searching for a suspect who attempted to rob two stores in West Valley City on Saturday Morning.

A man entered a Subway restaurant at 5550 W. 3500 S. just after 9 a.m., demanded money from the employee and indicated that he had a weapon, West Valley City Police said.

During the holdup, the employee asked the suspect to wait and walked to the back of the store. When the worker didn't return, the suspect became impatient and left.

Witnesses told officers they saw the suspect leave the area in a white passenger car driven by another person. Police said the suspect then entered the Family Dollar store at 4711 W. 3500 S. and attempted another robbery.

There, the bandit again demanded money -- and again, the cashier asked the suspect to wait while they finished assisting other customers. The suspect became agitated and left the store, according to police.

While the suspect did not get any money in either holdup, police reiterated that it's safer for store employees to comply with robbery suspects.

"The employees have to follow their own set policies, but we recommend not agitating people in these situations," said Sgt. Jeff Congor of the West Valley City Police Dept.

Authorities describe the robbery suspect as an adult male with a thin build, wearing a red hooded-sweatshirt with the word "Utah" on the front. 

Police are working to obtain store surveillance video and said they will release it when it's available.

Anyone with information in this case is encouraged to call West Valley City Police at (801) 840-4000.

Photo: MGN Online

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Murray police are asking for help identifying a man they say robbed a credit union.

The suspect walked into the Mountain America Credit Union at 5900 S. State St. around 9:50 a.m. Saturday and passed the teller a note “to give him some money,” said Sgt. Kim Rees.

The teller complied and the man left with an undisclosed amount. Rees said there was no mention of a weapon.

The suspect is white, about 6 feet tall and has light brown hair. He was wearing a green plaid button-up, short-sleeve shirt and plastic frame glasses.

Call the Murray police if you have any information: 801-840-4000

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A former general authority of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints died this week at the age of 81.

David E. Sorensen passed away Tuesday at his home in San Juan Capistrano, Calif. As a member of the First Quorum of the 70, he oversaw the church's planning and construction of new LDS temples worldwide. By the time he left the post in 2005, more than 100 temples had been built.

Sorensen worked closely with former president Gordon B. Hinckley to develop the constructions.

Prior to joining the church in 1992, Sorensen was a businessman in California and a bank vice chairman in Nevada.

Thumbnail photo: MGN Online/Eric Schramm/File

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A Utah man accused of killing his wife last February, and then allegedly trying to make it look like she died naturally, will stand trial for her death, a judge decided Friday.

Dennis Chamberlain, of Roy, appeared in court Friday for a preliminary hearing on charges that he killed his spouse, and then attempted to use chemicals to make her death appear unsuspicious to authorities.

Chamberlain, 74, faces a first-degree murder charge and will remain in prison until trial.


Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Republican party's presidential nominee from two years ago will visit to Utah in a few weeks.

Mitt Romney is scheduled to host a guest lecture at Brigham Young University on Nov. 18. The former Massachusetts governor and Salt Lake City Olympic organizer graduated from the university in 1971.

Two years ago, Romney opposed and lost the White House to incumbent Barack Obama in a fairly lop-sided election. Romney captured 206 electoral votes while Obama secured 332. 270 are needed to win the presidency.

According to recent rumors and speculation, Romney will likely again seek the Republican nomination for the White House in 2016.


(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
ELKO, Nev. (AP) A man facing murder charges in the 2011 shooting deaths of a Utah couple in a two-state crime spree that already has him serving up to 56 years in a Nevada prison is appealing his conviction for kidnapping during a botched carjacking at a Wendover casino.

Utah prosecutors filed murder charges against 26-year-old Logan McFarland in Sanpete County in May after he was sent to the Ely State Prison for six felonies including kidnapping, robbery and car theft.

The Elko Daily Free Press reports McFarland's appeal filed this week with the Nevada Supreme Court seeks to overturn his convictions for first-degree kidnapping and committing an offense in a stolen vehicle.

Information from Elko Daily Free Press

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) Tennessee coach Butch Jones understands his team will endure plenty of growing pains.

He just hopes the Volunteers' newcomers don't start their careers by taking a punch in the gut from Utah State, a program certainly capable of providing that kind of blow.

Utah State is one of only nine Football Bowl Subdivision programs to win 20 games and earn two bowl victories over the last two years. The return of star quarterback Chuckie Keeton from a knee injury that sidelined him for much of the 2013 season should give the Aggies even more confidence heading into Sunday's game at Neyland Stadium.

Tennessee is relying on youth to rejuvenate a program that has endured four straight losing seasons. Most of the Volunteers' 32 newcomers are expected to play Sunday.

By Steve Megargee, AP Sports Writer

Photo: MGN Online

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Renewable energy advocates are hailing the rejection of Rocky Mountain Power's request for a new fee for residential rooftop solar panels in Utah.

They're calling the Utah Public Service Commission's Friday decision a victory for clean air and energy as well as consumer choice.

Rocky Mountain wanted to charge residential customers with solar panels a $4.65 monthly fee to cover its distribution costs of energy for times when solar is not putting power in the grid.

But the commission ruled the utility failed to prove the fee was justified.

Rocky Mountain officials say they look forward to providing more information so the panel can revisit the issue.

The commission also approved a 1.9 percent rate increase for all residential customers that will boost monthly bills by an average of $1.76.

Photo: MGN Online/Andreas Demmelbauer

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Jan Harding, the woman who drank toxic tea at a Dickey's restaurant in August, spoke publicly for the first time Friday afternoon.

Jan says she is thankful and held on to faith while she recovered from chemical burns in the hospital. Jan drank the tea while at lunch with her husband on Sunday, August 10.

"I took a sip and immediately my whole mouth was on fire...I told my husband 'I think I drank acid,'" said Jan.

The second she sipped the tea she says the burn was so intense and she immediately spit it out.

Emergency officials took Jan from Sandy to a local hospital. She was then flown to the University of Utah Medical Center Burn Unit in critical condition.

Jan suffered lesions in her esophagus, despite the fact that she spit out the tea mixed with a chemical degreaser instead of sugar. At the hospital she required a breathing tube and doctors told her family it was a life or death situation.

When family members asked the doctors how severe the damage was they were not able to tell her. Doctors could not do a scope on Jan for about a week in fear they would further the damage. 

"I couldn't drink my own saliva...I could not brush my teeth for seven days," said Jan.

However, doctors knew for certain Jan had not swallowed the tea and it was not in her stomach. They told the Harding family if it was, Jan would not be alive.

Slowly Jan began to recover and she was released from the hospital on her and her husband, Jim's, 46th wedding anniversary. She was surrounded by family for her trip home from the hospital. Jan and Jim celebrated their wedding anniversary by watching a movie at their home. Jan says coming home was a perfect anniversary gift.

"We ate bland food," Jan said while shedding tears of joy. "...and we danced."

The long road ahead is not over for Jan. Doctors still do not know if there will be future complications, but for now Jan feels lucky to be alive.

"I could not have made it without my family...and I could not have made it without the prayers of America," said Harding.

The Harding family says people from all over the nation who were touched by their story reached out to their family.

The Harding family hopes their experience will inspire action in the restaurant industry.

"God has allowed something into our lives to make some positive differences," says Jim.

The family hopes the restaurant industry will ensure food is correctly labeled.  They suggest the industry to make changes like adding color to substances that aren't food so there is no way they can be confused for something edible.

"We are hoping some good comes from this," said Jan Harding.

The Harding family says it will be awhile before they will have the courage to go out to eat again. Jan says next time she will test the beverage with her finger.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Taysom Hill threw three touchdown passes and ran for two scores to help BYU beat UConn 35-10 on Friday night, spoiling Huskies coach Bob Diaco's debut.

The junior quarterback completed 28 of 36 passes to nine receivers without an interception. He went 17 of 20 to lead the Cougars to a 28-7 halftime advantage, and was BYU's leading rusher with 97 yards on 12 carries.

The Huskies held BYU in check for much of the second half, but had a hard time getting their own offense untracked.

Casey Cochran and Chandler Whitmer split duties and threw for a combined 284 yards.

Six BYU players — including tailback Jamaal Williams and starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson and Robertson Daniel — missed the game after being suspended for unspecified violations of team rules.

PAT EATON-ROBB, Associated Press

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) It may have been a most unfortunate accident, or it's possible the toxic tea that hospitalized a woman at a South Jordan barbecue restaurant could lead to criminal charges.

"We're trying to make a decision is this rises to a level of a crime," said Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill.  "Or maybe it doesn't rise to a level of a crime, and (we can) put it to rest."

The DA said his office is looking for more information surrounding the incident at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan that put Jan Harding in the hospital for days with lesions to her esophagus. One sip and Harding said she felt burning and knew the drink was trouble.  

2News asked Gill if charges are possible against an individual, more than one person, or perhaps even the restaurant.

"Well, the fair answer is all of the above," the DA replied.

Last January, a Salt Lake County inspection found what the health department termed a "non-critical" violation of improper labeling of food containers.  A day after Harding took the fateful sip, another inspector noted "sugar containers are not labeled with the common name of the food."

Two weeks ago, Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants, Inc., based in Texas, issued a statement in which it said it was "saddened by the events," but said the bad tea was an "isolated incident" at the South Jordan location.

A statement issued by Dickey's says, "Nothing like this has occurred in the 73 years we have operated. There is nothing more important to us than the trust and safety of our guests."

Dickey's also said "the independent owner" of the South Jordan eatery is cooperating with the investigation.

Gill said "all parties have been very cooperative."

Still in the realm of potential criminal charges, he identified questions before prosecutors: "Is it simply negligence?  Is it criminal negligence?  Is it reckless?  Was it intentional?"

The DA's Office may make a decision next week, on whether or not to file charges.

By Brian Mullahy

Follow Brian on Twitter @bmullahy2news

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A newborn baby found in a garbage can outside a Kearns home is showing signs of improvement, say police.

The Unified Police Department say the baby girl has been upgraded to critical, but stable condition. The baby is being treated at the hospital and is in protective custody, pending further investigation.

Unified Police say the baby's mother, Alicia Marie Englert, 24, put the baby in the trash can on Tuesday morning, about two days after giving birth. A neighbor found the baby and called police.

Salt Lake County Sheriff Winder urges mothers who cannot care for their babies to consider Utah's Safe Haven laws, which allow a mother to leave her baby at any medical facility in the state.

Englert is now facing attempted homicide charges.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Summit County officials are warning residents about a security breach.

Debit and credit card information was stolen during the sales of Summit County Fair Rodeo and Demolition Derby tickets earlier in August. Officials blame a third party vendor.

Authorities are asking for anyone who believes their information was compromised, and haven’t resolved it with their bank, to contact the sheriff’s office.

Photo Credit: MGN Online

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
RENO, Nev. (AP) Southern Utah University President Scott Wyatt acknowledges he was under pressure from a group of conservatives to remove Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's name from a center on campus, but insists politics had nothing to do with his decision to do so.

The Nevada Democrat's name was removed from the school's Outdoor Engagement Center in Cedar City, Utah, last week. Wyatt said yesterday the school's 2011 naming of the center for the alumnus generated no donations to the center and created confusion about the center's purpose because nobody associated Reid with the outdoors.

Cropped Photo Credit: Senate Democrats / Flickr / MGN Online

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) The 100 deadliest days of summer are coming to an end and officials say it has not been a good year.

According to the Utah Department of Transportation, 93 people have lost their lives on Utah Roads since May 23.  Police say that is five more people than last year at this time or a 5.7 percent increase.

One of the worst weekends was the July 4 holiday when nine people were killed in car accidents.

Authorities say they are concerned about the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend.

"Labor Day marks the end of the 100 most deadliest days," said Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce. "It's a tragic thing when we have to go up to a house and inform loved ones that they've lost someone in a fatal crash."

At 9 p.m. Friday at UHP headquarters at 5300 South and Interstate-15, troopers and Mothers Against Drunk Driving will be having a major kickoff to start the saturation of troopers on Utah roads.

"We got 266 additional shifts we are adding and they will be looking for five different violations mainly driving under the influence, seat belts, speed, distractive driving and drowsy driving," said Sgt. Royce.

UHP troopers hope these efforts will create zero fatalities during Labor Day Weekend.

"We've got four days left. We are hoping this weekend we have no fatal crashes," said Sgt. Royce.

The total number of deaths on Utah roads since January 1 is 165. UHP says it is a total of 20 more people than last year.

By: Dan Rascon

Follow Dan on Twitter: @DanKUTV

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Three batmobiles from three different eras arrived in Salt Lake City Friday night for the filming of a music video.

Over the years, David Dickson and Harold Tapley have built two replica batmobiles. One of them is from the 1989 Michael Keaton "Batman" film, while the other is from the Dark Knight series.

Dickson and Tapley say a lot of work and money went into making the replicas.

"I would say roughly I have $50,000 into it," said Dickson.

The hard work of Dickson and Tapley has paid off. The Piano Guys, a musical group in Utah, has taken note and will use these three cars in their latest music video. The theme of the video will be Batman music through the years.

"We are going to take people through the journey of Batman, starting out with the original...the video will progress," said Paul Anderson with the Piano Guys.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Whether it's an emergency or a scheduled surgery, there is a good chance that if an operating room is involved there is a patient who is receiving blood that came from a stranger.

Mark wrote to 2News asking what happens if doctors run out of the type of blood a patient needs. I took it to ARUP Blood Services marketing director Lance Bandley.

ARUP Blood Services is the sole blood supplier for Primary Children's Medical Center as well as University Hospital and the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Bandley says it's his job to make sure those hospitals and several others around Utah and other western states never have to worry about whether or not there is enough blood.

"Every single day we've got blood drives lined up months in advance or we can call people and have them come in," he said.

There are eight different blood types and in a pinch certain types can be substituted without it hurting the patient, Bandley says. The bench mark is the blood type O negative.

"O negative is universal," he said. "It can go to any person that needs blood. It's used a lot in trauma situations because they don't know the type of the person coming in."

Bandley says if you're hurt this Labor Day weekend, or any other time, you really need not worry about the hospital having your type, especially here in Utah. Bandley says in the eight years he's been with ARUP Blood Services they have not come even close to running out.

"Luckily Utah is an awesome state. People are very giving. When we ask them, and say, we need your help to come in, they respond and come in so we've never been close to running out. There's times when it's a little tighter, but we've never run out of blood."

A person can donate every 56 days and Brandley says they need 100 donors per day just to keep up with the demand of hospitals.

By Matt Gephardt

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) UPDATE: Orion Sherrod, 9, was found safe Friday evening at a Home Depot in Sandy.

Police are searching for a missing, endangered 9-year-old boy, who was last seen Friday morning in Riverton.

According to a news release from the Unified Police Department, Orion Sherrod was last seen at about 8 a.m. at Southland Elementary School by his sister. Sherrod was with his sister at the school and then left on a red bicycle.

Police say the boy has PTSD, ADHD, and mood disorders and takes required medications, which if not taken, could be dangerous for him. He has a history of running away, authorities told 2News.

Sherrod is described as a white male, four feet, two inches tall, with short brown hair, and wearing a black hoodie-style sweatshirt and black pants.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Sherrod is asked to call Unified Police at 801-743-7000.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Salt Lake District Attorney Sim Gill says an officer involved shooting on July 10 was justified.

According to police, the officer shot Timothy James Peterson, 31, outside the Jordan Landing Office Max.  Gill says after the officer confronted Peterson, the suspect turned and presented a piece of metal that the officer thought was a weapon and he fired.

Gill says this gave the officer justification to shoot Peterson.

Peterson is in the Salt Lake County Jail on drug and traffic violations.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

Featured on KUTV

Quick Links Mentioned On 2News

Click For More Links
Web Poll

News Photo Gallery - View More

Weather Photo Gallery - View More

Advertise with us!
TV Freedom

Trending on Social Media

Sponsored content


Pay It Forward
Fresh Living
Family Matters
Road Trippin
Hooked On Utah

Advertise with us!