Bacon Mushroom Mac and Cheese
Recipe courtesy of The American Heart Association
- 8 Servings
- 6 oz whole-wheat corkscrew pasta
- 3 slice turkey bacon (cooked to package instructions, diced)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion (diced)
- 2 clove minced, fresh garlic or 2 tsp jarred, minced garlic
- 2 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 Tbsp salt-free, dried herbs, Italian blend (divided)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp grated, low-fat parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low-moisture, part-skim-fat mozzarella (shredded)
- 3 Tbsp "panko" bread crumbs (whole wheat, if available)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2) Boil pasta according to package directions, omitting oil, butter and salt. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water after pasta is done cooking.
3) Cook turkey bacon in microwave according to package directions, cool slightly and roughly chop.
4) In medium size pot heat 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil over medium low heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are soft, but not brown. Add mushrooms, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and pepper, cook for 2 minutes, add water and cook 2 more minutes.
5) In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, mozzarella and parmesan. Add yogurt mixture, pasta water and pasta to mushroom mixture and stir to combine all ingredients. Remove from heat and transfer to oven safe 8x8 or 9x13 dish. Combine breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle evenly over the top of mac and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes and serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.