(KUTV) — This egg white scramble is a great way to get vitamin-packed broccoli onto your breakfast table.
Broccoli and Cheese Egg White Scramble on Whole-Wheat English Muffin
Recipe courtesy of the American Heart Association
1 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen (thawed) broccoli florets
1/4 cup water
8 extra-large egg whites or 1 1/4 cups egg white substitute
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
1/4 cup shredded, fat-free cheddar cheese
1) Finely chop broccoli. Coat a large nonstick saute pan with cooking spray; warm over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and water; stirring frequently, cook until broccoli is limp, around 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer broccoli to a dish.
2) In a bowl, add egg whites, milk, and pepper. Whisk together to combine.
3) Split and toast each English muffin; set aside.
4) Meanwhile, use a paper towel to wipe the saute pan clean. Coat again with cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add egg whites and use a spatula to stir eggs constantly until whites are almost firm, just a few minutes. Stir in cooked broccoli and cheese; remove from heat.
5) To serve, place each English muffin half onto a plate. Divide egg mixture between each muffin, piling high with eggs. Serve with a fork and knife.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.