Carbonara is an Italian favorite of mine. Bacon, eggs, onions and anything else you want to add makes this dish both versatile and easy.
1 pound spaghetti, cooked al dente
6-8 bacon strips cooked, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly chopped garlic
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup frozen or fresh peas
1 cup chopped zucchini
4 eggs, beaten
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (for garnish)
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Cook pasta according to package directions.
2) While pasta is cooking, prepare the bacon by cooking over medium heat until crispy. Place cooked bacon onto some paper towels and reserve. When cooled, crumble bacon. Drain all but 3 tbsp of bacon fat from the pan.
3) Mix parmesan cheese with eggs. Set aside
4) Sauté garlic, onions, peas and zucchini in the bacon fat.
5) Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water and drain the rest off. Add the pasta, bacon and pasta water to the garlic and onion mixture. Sauté until water is absorbed.
6) Remove the pan from the heat and add the egg mixture and toss until pasta is coated.
7) Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and parmesan cheese. Serve and Enjoy.