(KUTV) As aired on April 17.
Recipe courtesy of Simplify Supper.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 pound summer squash, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large stockpot bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add half of olive oil.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook about 8 minutes, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and sausage. Cook about 6 minutes, until sausage is cooked through.
- Stir in vegetables and basil. Cook another 4-5 minutes, until squash has begun to caramelize. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour cooked pasta and 1/2 cup pasta water into the sausage mixture. Stir to combine and serve hot.