- Any medication can have adverse effects to your developing baby
- Be on the right meds and off the wrong ones BEFORE you get pregnant.
- Prenatal Vitamin - Make sure it has at least .4mg of folic acid, Continue taking this while you are pregnant, Consider taking this as long as you are able to conceive.
- Omega-3 FA (fish oil) - Recommend consumption of 200-300mg/day of DHA
- Peppermint, Vitamin B6, Ginger, Doxylamine (Unasom), Diclegis, Promethazine (Phenergan), Ondansetron (Zofran). Other medications….
Cough and Cold
- Dextromethorphan (Robitussin), Guaifenesin (Mucinex). Avoid combing medications. Also decongestants like pseudoephedrine.
Aches and Pains
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) - 3000mg per day.
- Back massages - at least 30 minute/day
- Watching favorite show while husband/kids do the dishes
- AVOID – Ibuprofen, narcotic medications, Icy hot.
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), Doxylamine (Unasom)
- AVOID – Melatonin, Ambien, Other strong sleep aids
Depression and Anxiety
- There are risks of untreated depression and anxiety - Possibly can cause birth defects, increases risk of miscarriage and preterm birth
- SSRI medications - Significantly improved depression/anxiety
Remember: just because it is “natural” doesn’t mean that it is safe.
Many medications can be expressed at variable concentrations in breast milk. Consult with your physician before starting or continuing any medications