(KUTV) — It can be hard to decide what to eat before, during, and after endurance or high-intensity exercise/training sessions.
Joy Musselman, a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist at Intermountain McKay-Dee Hospital, stopped by to help you figure it out.
Before you start
- 3-4 hours before consume a high carbohydrate snack that contains protein.
- 30-60 minutes before you start, consume a high carbohydrate, easily digestible snack.
- 30-60 grams carbohydrate every hour
- Fuel before you feel like you need it
- ¾ rule – 3 eating episode in 4 hours and continually rehydrate
- Snack 15-60 minutes after exercise that contains carbohydrate and protein.
- Meal within 2 hours that contains 3 food groups.
- Snack within 4 hours that contains carbohydrate and protein.
Learn more at the McKay-Dee Health and Fitness Expo April 13 at the North Campus Building from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. It's free for the entire family.