(KUTV) — The Greater Salt Lake Area Chapter of the American Red Cross, and consumer advocacy firm, Lexington Law, are sponsoring a “Be a Hero, Honor a Hero” blood drive this Saturday to honor America’s veterans and service men and women.
You can join Lexington Law employees that day in donating blood, which will be a kick off for a nation-wide partnership with the Red Cross. It’s all happening at the American Red Cross Blood Donation Center at 6616 S. 900 East in Murray, from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 15, 2017.
Everyone who participates that day gets a Red Cross pin that they can keep or give to a veteran or someone currently serving in the military who they are honoring.
We encourage people to make an appointment for Saturday by going online at www.redcrossblood.org; or call 1-800 RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
If you take the few minutes to register and provide a medical history online, you will speed up your donation process. Of course, walk-ins are always welcome.
To be eligible you must be in good health, be age 17 years or older, and weigh at least 110 pounds.
Here are some tips and information about donating blood:
- Drink plenty of fluids on the day of the donation
- Wear comfortable clothes with short sleeves or sleeves that can be rolled up above the elbow
- Eat a healthy level of iron-rich foods
- Bring a list of any medications you are taking
- Every two seconds someone in the US needs blood
- About 36,000 units of red blood are needed every day for cancer patients, accident victims and for many more circumstances
- The actual blood donation process only takes 10 to 12 minutes, and the entire process may take just over an hour. And of course, you can speed up the process if you pre-register online.
The blood drive will last from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on April 15 at the American Red Cross Blood Donation Center, which is located at 6616 S. 900 East in Murray.
For more information visit www.redcrossblood.org.