Wednesday, November 14 2012, 05:48 PM MST
Test Your Flu IQ
(KUTV) Flu season is here and it’s time to test your flu knowledge.
After getting your flu shot, did you know it takes about two weeks to develop immunity?
Well, it’s true.
You can test your knowledge on more flu facts by taking the quiz below.
1. True or False: The flu isn’t serious.
2. True or False: Flu viruses are contagious.
3. True or False: If you get the flu, ride it through.
4. True or False: You can protect yourself against the flu.
1. False. “You can have complications secondary from the flu which could manifest as a bacterial infection, pneumonias, bronchitis stuff like that,” Rich Tomelevage, a pharmacist, says.
2. True. “If you come in contact with somebody who has the flu, you have about three or four days of incubation before you have it, so you more than likely will sneeze or wipe something or touch something and spread it, and that's how it kind of goes like a wildfire,” Tomelevage explains.
3. True. “Once you have the flu, you pretty much, you have the flu. And it's pretty much, your body's going to ride itself out until it overcomes the flu virus. So to treat it symptomatically, if you have a cough, you can of course use over-the-counter cough medicines,” Tomelevage says.
4. True. Remember, kids, the elderly and even pregnant women, should get vaccinated for the flu. Ask about flumist as an alternative to the shots.
For more information, including which type of vaccine is suitable for you, go to flu.gov. http://www.flu.gov/
(Copyright 2012 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)