How 'bout some hot and spicy soup to keep you warm in the storm? And we're not above being cheesy, especially if it has to do with bread!
Brazilian Traditional Yucca Stew aka "Caldo de Mandioca"
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Servings: About 8
- This recipe can be adapted for a slow cooker.
- Sausage and bacon can be substituted with chicken, beef, seafood and even veggies like kale.
- Beef broth can be substituted by any broth of your choice.
- 1 pound of yucca root peeled, and diced
- 8 cups of water
- 1 can of beef broth
- 4 oz of bacon
- 1 pound of sausage (of your choice)
- 2 tomatoes ripe, with skin, no seeds, cubed
- 1 onion cubed
- 1 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt & pepper for flavor
- Peel and dice the yucca root before cooking.
(Don't worry about the long stringy fibers in the middle, they can be removed after the root is cooked before putting it in the blender.)
- Cut into chuncks and cook it in water with beef broth until very soft.
(about 20-30 min. but cooking time may vary, or use a pressure cooker to save time, if you have one.)
- Boil the sausage for about 10 min.
- Then, in a sauce skillet add diced bacon and sausage and cook for about 10min, or until cooked and lightly browned. Then, add onion, garlic, olive oil, and tomatoes into it and let it cook on medium heat for an extra 5-10min.
-Once the yucca root is soft, remove from the water.
-Remove long stringy fibers in the middle of the yucca. Save the water and let it cool off for about 5 min. In a blender, blend the yucca root and the water and bring back to the pan.
(Careful! Adding boiling water to a blender can cause the blender to explode!)
-Add the remaining of the ingredients, stir and cover. Turn heat to low and cook it for 5 more minutes before serving.
-Garnish with fresh parsley on top, serve warm.
Find places to buy the (gluten-free!) bread to go with it at www.cheesebreadmania.com
(Copyright 2013 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)