Tuesday, January 14 2014, 01:30 PM MST
SITTING IS THE NEW SMOKING
1. Prolonged sitting is now recognized as a risk factor for premature death.
2. 30 minutes a day of moderate intensity physical activity cannot overcome 6 hours a day of sitting.
3. Getting up and walking just casually for 2-3 minutes every 30-60 minutes is associate with lower blood sugar and insulin levels .
4. Prolonged sitting is estimated to result in 5.3 million deaths, smoking estimated to cause 5.1 million deaths.
5. In school age children researchers are finding that kids who move more learn better.
For more information, go to www.kutv.com or call 877-908-0680.
(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)