What to do if your boss won't give you your W2

What to do if your boss won't give you your W2 (Photo: KUTV)

(KUTV) Katy Helgason worked at the now-closed Pronzo Italiano restaurant in Clearfield for several months in 2016. Now, it's time to claim that income with the IRS. There is just one problem.

“I can't get my W2,” she said. “This is the first time this has ever happened to me."

Helgason and her coworkers have been trying to get the restaurant's owners to send the tax paperwork but, for months, have struck out.

“I don't know where to go from here and, obviously, when you don't submit your files to the IRS, bad things are going to happen," she said.

With the filing deadline quickly approaching, Katy and her coworkers decided to Get Gephardt.

Pronzo Italiano was run by two men. Each point the finger at the other for the who should be responsible to issue W2s, and each say they don’t have access to information they would need to send the tax documents.

So, it seems W2s will not be coming, but that’s no excuse to not claim those earnings when filing taxes, according to IRS spokesperson Bill Brunsen.

People who can’t get their W2s are supposed to fill out IRS form 4852. Then, using whatever evidence they do have, like pay stubs or deposit records, estimate how much they earned.

Helgason said that's easier said than done for her. She said she was often paid by a hand written check without paystubs, or even in cash. So now she is forced to live up to her tax obligations even though the people who employed her didn't live up to theirs.

Utah State Tax Commission spokesperson Charlie Roberts said the same IRS form should be used to file state income tax returns.

More information is available here.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off