Ask The Expert: How do drug take back bins work?
(KUTV) So how do you correctly and safely dispose of unused medications? Kim Compagni Community Pharmacy Operations Manager for Intermountain Healthcare explains how take back bins work and where you can find them.
- Intermountain Healthcare offers drug take back bins or envelopes at all 26 Community Pharmacies locations throughout the state of Utah.
- It’s important to get expired or unwanted medication out of your home to ensure the medication doesn’t get into the hands of children or people who shouldn’t use the medication.
- So far, Intermountain Community Pharmacies have collected 13,000 tons of medication.
- By safely disposing medication, we can reduce medication abuse, often leading to addiction, and pollution – many medications can cause an adverse effect on the environment if they get into our water system.
- Disposing medication is completely anonymous.
- Visit IntermountainHealthcare.org or use the Pharmacy App – Intermountain Pharmacy to locate an Intermountain Community Pharmacy near you.