California man arrested after traveling to Utah to meet 13-year-old for sex
UTAH COUNTY, Utah —
(KUTV) A 38-year-old man was arrested after he traveled from California to Utah County with the intention of having sex with a 13-year-old girl, police said.
The Utah County Sheriff's Office said it arrested Jason Reed Akers of Ontario, California, on April 17. Akers began communicating online with someone he believed was a 13-year-old Utah girl, but was actually an undercover investigator with the Utah Valley Special Victims Task Force.
Police said Akers arranged to meet the girl in a public location within Utah County, and was immediately arrested upon arrival.
Police found methamphetamine, marijuana, spice, drug paraphernalia, and a handgun in his possession.
Akers was booked into the Utah County Jail on the following charges:
- Enticing, soliciting, seducing or luring a minor by internet or text, second-degree felony
- Enticing, soliciting, seducing or luring a minor by internet or text, two counts, third-degree felony
- Dealing in harmful materials to a minor, two counts, third-degree felony
- Possession of firearm by category II restricted person, third-degree felony
- Possession of methamphetamine, class-A misdemeanor
- Possession of marijuana in a Drug-Free Zone, class-A misdemeanor
- Possession of drug paraphernalia, class-B misdemeanor.
His bail has been set at $50,000.00, cash only.
He had also arranged to meet with two 14-year-old girls in Colorado, but police did not say if those two girls were also undercover agents.