MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

One dead, another injured in Utah Christmas Eve house fire

Heavy smoke can be seen for miles while multiple fire engines and firefighters battle blaze on 100 North that killed an elderly woman and injured another Sunday evening, Ivins, Utah, Dec. 24, 2017 | Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News

(KUTV) - St. George News is reporting a woman is dead and another person is injured after a Christmas Eve fire in Ivins.

Two people were trapped inside the home on W. 100 North in Ivins when firefighters responded around 7:00 p.m.

Fire and smoke were coming out of the home when fire crews arrived, and two people were still trapped inside suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

A family member was trying to rescue an elderly woman trapped inside but became trapped inside the home herself.

Firefighters carried both victims out of the home who were then transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George.

"Despite being transported," Santa Clara Fire Chief Dan Nelson said. "The elderly woman had succumbed to her injuries and never made it out of the building alive.”

It took two hours to put out the blaze, which fire crews believe started in one of the rear bedrooms.

“This is a very tragic event on Christmas Eve, and our hearts go out to the families, and for the person who was injured as well,” the chief said.

Information used in this story was provided by Michael Durrant and used with permission by St. George News.

Trending