Procrastinating? Where, when you can file taxes in Utah
(KUTV) — For those of us who have procrastinated on filing our taxes, there is still hope, as Tax Day is two days later than normal this year.
Normally, Tax Day is on April 15, which is a Sunday this year. Under normal circumstances Tax Day would simply move to the day after, on Monday.
However, April 16 is Emancipation Day — a holiday that honors the passage of the District of Columbia Compensated Emancipation Act in 1862. Emancipation Day ended slavery in Washington, D.C. by paying slave owners to pledge allegiance to the Union and free their slaves.
Therefore, Tax Day will take place on April 17 this year, but in 2019 Tax Day will return to its original date of April 15.
So procrastinators have lucked out this year!
Utah post offices will be open under their regular hours on Tuesday, but Provo and Salt Lake City offer the latest collection times.
Customers who deliver their tax returns to the following locations receive an April 17 postmark, the United States Postal Service in Utah states:
- Salt Lake Main Post Office at 1760 West 2100 South — due by 8:15 p.m.
- Provo East bay Post Office at 936 South 250 East — due by 8:30 p.m.
Thirty-one post offices have self-service kiosks that are available 24/7. According to USPS officials, customers can print a mailing label before midnight at a self-service kiosk and they will receive an April 17 postmark.
A list of Utah Post Offices and self-service kiosks.
- American Fork Post Office at 55 Merchant Street
- Bountiful Post Office at 20 S. Main
- Cedar City at 333 N. Main Street
- Draper Post Office at 12180 S. 300 East
- Layton Post Office at 1123 N. Fairfield Road
- Lehi Post Office at 333 E. Main Street
- Logan Post Office at 75 W. 200 North
- Ogden Ben Lomond Branch at 221 N. Washington Boulevard
- Ogden Mount Ogden Station at 1145 E. 4600 South
- Orem Main Post Office at 222 W. Center
- Orem Mountain Shadows at 877 E. 1200 South
- Pleasant Grove Post Office at 180 S. 100 West
- Provo East Bay at 936 S. 250 East
- Provo Main Post Office at 95 W. 100 South
- Riverton Post Office at 12760 S. Park Avenue
- Roy Post Office at 4879 S. 1900 West
- South Jordan Post Office at 10102 S. Redwood Road
- St. George Red Rocks Main Office at 1150 E. Riverside Drive
- St. George Downtown at 180 N. main
- Salt Lake City Cottonwood Branch at 6890 S. 2300 East
- Salt Lake City Downtown Station at 230 W. 200 South
- Salt Lake City Foothill Station at 2255 Sunnyside Avenue
- Salt Lake City Kearns Branch at 5495 S. 4015 West
- Salt Lake City Main Office at 1760 W. 2100 South
- Salt Lake City Millcreek Branch at 3350 S. 29040 East
- Salt Lake City Murray Branch at 4989 S. State Street
- Salt Lake City Sugarhouse Station at 1953 S. 1100 East
- Salt Lake City West Valley Branch at 3490 S. 4400 West
- Sandy Alta Canyon Station at 9265 S. Highland Drive
- Sandy main Post Office at 8850 S. 700 East
- West Jordan Post Office at 7901 S. 3200 West