Sandy restaurant closed for multiple health hazards, violations
(KUTV) — Fuji Japanese Steakhouse was closed Monday following a lengthy list of health hazards and violations.
UPDATE: Fuji Japanese Steakhouse has reportedly reopened.
The Sandy business, which is located at 10849 S. State Street, was shut down for 36 health code violations — 27 of which inspectors noted were critical to human health.
Among the most striking violations are mouse droppings, food stored on the floor, and "general filth" in the facility.
The restaurant will remain closed until the problems are fixed and inspectors deem it safe for the public.
According to a Salt Lake County Health Department document, the establishment was closed for "presenting an imminent health hazard" and the following violations:
- The establishment is closed for more than 20 critical violations including no hot water at one hand sink, multiple hand sinks lacking soap and paper towels, a lack of parasite destruction letters, and general filth in the facility.
- There is no written agreement or statement from the fish supplier stipulating that fish have been frozen and stored at temperatures required to achieve parasite destruction.
- There are many large spider webs in the facility.
- There are mice droppings on shelves by food.
- There are mice droppings in the dry storage.
- Wet wiping cloths are not stored in sanitizer solution.
- Potentially hazardous food is not marked or otherwise identified to indicate the time when the food was removed from temperature control.
- Employees personal beverages are not separated from food preparation areas.
- Ceiling air vents are dusty.
- Butane is stored by food.
- Single-use items are being re-used.
- Cutting boards are scratched and scored and no longer easily cleanable.
- There is no sanitizer test kit available.
- Food is being used in non-food grade containers. - grocery bags
- Bowls are used for food scoops and are stored inside food containers.
- Raw shell eggs are stored above ready-to-eat food in a cooler.
- Raw meat is stored above ready-to-eat foods in the walk-in cooler.
- The dry rack is made of sealed wood.
- The shelves at the walk-in are rusty.
- There is no hand drying provision at the hand sink. - in the drink station
- There is no hand drying provision at the hand sink. - in the kitchen front
- There is no hand drying provision at the hand sink. - in the back
- Hot water not working on the front kitchen hand sink.
- A cloth is stored on saran wrap.
- A towel is stored on the floor in the walk in freezer.
- Food is being stored on the floor in the walk in freezer.
- Onions are stored on the floor.
- There is no soap at the hand sink. in the drink station
- There is no soap at the back hand sink in the kitchen.
- Pressurized cylinders are not secured.
- Interior surfaces of the ventilation hood are heavily soiled with accumulations of grease.
- The grill and the walk-in are dirty.
- The rice scoop is dirty.
- Shelves in the walk-in cooler are unclean to sight and touch.
- Dirty dishes are stacked with clean dishes.
- Personal items are stored on food.