Two West Jordan teachers save choking 6th grader's life
(KUTV) -- A 12-year-old girl is alive today thanks to her quick-thinking teachers.
Kaitlyn Sanders - and her sister, Kayla - are 6th graders at Columbia Elementary School in West Jordan.
A few days ago, Kaitlyn started choking on a carrot in the lunchroom. One of the teachers, Thomas Walton spotted what was happening, grabbed some colleagues and ran over.
He didn’t feel too confident in performing the Heimlich maneuver so fellow teacher, Gerri Hixenbaugh, stepped in.
She says she felt rusty, too, and hasn’t encountered a situation like that in 34 years as a teacher. She, thankfully, was able to get Kaitlyn breathing properly within a few minutes.
Both teachers are now planning to get recertified in CPR before the start of the new school year.
Friday marks the start of the American Red Cross’ National CPR AED week, when they’ll be emphasizing the importance of knowing these skills.
Ideally, you should get certified every couple of years, so if you’ll like to find a class near you, click on this link: https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class