Utah Jazz unveils new uniforms for 2017-18 season
(KUTV) The Utah Jazz revealed the designs for two of its new uniforms for the 2017-18 season.
According to the Utah Jazz Public Relations, "The look is aesthetically consistent with the team’s previous home and road uniforms. However, the designs have been built on innovation and technological research to support player performance."
Nike reportedly used research from 3D-body maps of players in order to make impacting changes on the weight, fit, and construction of uniforms.
Significant changes and updates to the previous design and materials include:
• Mesh materials that wick sweat 30 percent faster and dry 15 percent quicker than previous NBA uniforms and moisture repellency that allows for maximum airflow
• Fabric comprised of Alpha Yarns and recycled polyester as each uniform represents approximately 20 recycled PET bottles
• Scapula-shaped motion shoulder seam and modified hemlines on the bottom of the jersey and shorts to allow for a full range of motion
• Altered seams at the armhole, neck and side to eliminate distractions and irritation
• Instead of a company logo, addition of the “5 for the Fight” jersey patch through Qualtrics in first-of-its-kind partnership where the two organizations set a joint goal to raise $50M to accelerate the pace of innovative cancer research
• Logos on the uniforms are now plastic rather than stitched patches, which cuts down on weight, as does using thinner materials for wordmarks, numbers and names
• Addition of Nike logo on the front of the jersey and shorts
Coinciding with the introduction of the new uniforms, the NBA is eliminating its “home” and “road” uniform designations.
Beginning with the 2017-18 season, home teams will pick which uniform they will wear, and visiting teams will choose a contrasting uniform within their own assortment.
Because of this change, Nike and the NBA worked together to create four core uniforms for each team, classified as “editions,” which draw from the rich heritage of the NBA and its franchises.
The Association edition, the traditional home white uniform, links the 30 teams and approximately 400 players. The one thing that every team has in common is the white uniform that represents the association. The Icon edition, previously known as the road uniform, represents each of the unique franchises. Each team has its own identity with a primary color – blue for the Jazz -- that dominates the closets of the most die-hard fans.
The two remaining 2017-18 uniform editions for the Jazz, inspired by the NBA athlete and the communities that support their teams, will be revealed in the coming months.