Monday, October 1 2012, 04:16 PM MDT
Easy Salmon Cakes with Tomato Orange Salsa
As Aired On September 20, 2012
Recipe Courtesy Pinon Market and Café with Chef Victoria Topham
These salmon cakes are packed with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. They are high protein, low- carbohydrate & gluten free. The sweet potato adds moisture and texture while also providing high amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C and fiber. The salsa contributes a refreshing contrast to the fish. Halibut, cod or flounder would be excellent substitutes for the salmon.
Salmon Cake Ingredients:
2 T Parsley, minced
2 T Red onion, minced
3 T Lemon juice
2 t Dijon mustard
2 T Regular or low-fat mayonnaise
¼ t Cayenne
Salt and pepper
1 whole Egg or 2 egg whites
1 medium Sweet potato, scrubbed, peeled and coarsely grated
1 ½ # skin-on Salmon fillet OR 1 ¼ # skinned Salmon fillet, cut into small pieces
¼ C Vegetable oil or pan spray
1. Combine parsley, red onion, lemon juice, mustard, mayonnaise, cayenne, salt and pepper in bowl.
Working in batches, PULSE salmon pieces in food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to bowl with parsley - red onion mixture.
2. Add grated sweet potato and egg (or 2 egg whites). Gently mix until uniformly combined.
3. Portion salmon mixture using a 1/3 C measure or ice cream scoop.
4. Form into disks measuring about 2 ½ " in diameter.
5. Place on sheet pan, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
6. Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Alternatively, lightly spray cakes with pan spray before placing in heated skillet.
7. Place salmon cakes in skillet and cook without moving for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Carefully flip cakes and cook 2 minutes longer or until salmon is cooked through. Blot on paper toweling before serving with Tomato Orange Salsa.
Tomato Orange Salsa Ingredients:
1 large Tomato, cut into 1/2" dice
2 large Oranges, peel and membrane removed, cut into bite-sized pieces, juices reserved
1 t Jalapeno pepper, minced (or to taste)
3 T Cilantro, minced
2 T Red onion, minced
Salt and Pepper
1. Combine all salsa ingredients in bowl.
2. Toss gently adding salt and pepper to taste.