Sunday, October 14 2012, 09:48 AM MDT
Bittersweet Chocolate Tart
As Aired On October 14, 2012
Recipe Courtesy Of Pastry Chef Rebecca Millican
Sweet Pastry Crust Ingredients:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
Chocolate Filling Ingredients:
3/4 heavy cream
1/3 cup whole milk
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 large egg, slightly beaten
Unsweetened cocoa for garnish
Directions for Sweet Pastry Crust:
1. Place the butter and confectioners sugar in a mixing bowl and blend smooth. Stir in the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Add the salt and the flour, stirring just until blended.
2. Form dough into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Directions For Chocolate Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the cream and milk and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate, and stir until the chocolate is thoroughly melted and the mixture is well blended. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
3. When cooled, add the egg, and whisk until thoroughly blended.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pastry shell. Place in the center of the oven and bake until the filling is slightly firm but still trembling in the center, 12 to 15 minutes. Watch carefully—ovens vary tremendously, and baking times may differ slightly. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool. If desired, dust with unsweetened cocoa powder. Serve warm or at room temperature.
(Copyright 2012 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)