Tuesday, June 18 2013, 09:06 AM MDT
Slow Braise Utah Cherry Short Rib Crostini With Sharp Cheddar and Toasted Pine Nuts
As Aired January 8, 2013
Recipe courtesy Chef Roger Laws, Done To Your Taste
5lbs bone in beef short ribs
1 bunch each fresh thyme, rosemary and sage leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons each kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2(750-ml) bottles Cabernet Sauvignon
Olive oil, for searing ribs
1 yellow onion, medium dice
2 carrots, peeled and medium dice
2 ribs celery, medium dice
3 cloves garlic
4 quarts veal stock
3 bay leaves
1 quart dried tart Utah cherries
1. Season the ribs liberally with herbs and salt and pepper.
2. Place in a large non-reactive bowl or deep container and cover with wine. Marinate for 12 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
4. Remove from marinade, pour all the wine in saucepot and reduce by half. Meanwhile, heat a layer of olive oil in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Sear ribs on all sides until well browned.
5. Place browned ribs into a braising or deep roasting pan. Brown onion, carrots, celery and garlic in the same cast iron pan, adding more oil as needed. Scatter browned vegetables over the ribs.
6. Add the reduced wine, the stock, bay leaves and cherries.
7. Cover the pan with parchment paper and foil and place in the oven for 5 hours.
8. Transfer from the oven and allow the ribs to rest for 1 hour before removing bones.
9. Strain sauce into a saucepot and reduce for 1 hour.
10. Remove bones from short ribs and slice into crostini size medallions.
11. Sear medallions in a sauté pan in a light amount of oil. Meat should be very tender and may fall apart. Reduce heat, pour sauce generously over medallions and simmer.
½ cup garlic infused oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Thinly slice 2 baguettes into desired amount of Crostini for guest to be served. Brush each slice with garlic infused oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook in oven until toasty golden brown & crispy. 5-10 minutes at 375 degrees F
Pine nuts- toast in oven 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees F stirring half way through time
Place warm short rib meat, covered in sauce on center of crostini. Add 3 or 4 pine nuts, dried cherries and shaved cheddar cheese. Garnish with a fine dice of chive & serve warm.
(Copyright 2013 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)