Tuesday, June 18 2013, 10:06 AM MDT
As Aired On February 19, 2013
Recipe Courtesy Chef Ethan Lappe, Owner of Cafe Niche
1 lamb shank
1 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp olive oil (not extra virgin)
2 each clove of garlic smashed
1 each onion, diced
1 each large carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 sprigs rosemary
1 oz or small pinch of fresh thyme
1 tomato, quartered
3 cups beef stock
1 cup red wine
1. Dredge the shank in flour.
2. Heat a pot on high. Add oil and heat until smoking.
3. Brown the shank on all sides, then remove and place on a plate.
4. Add the vegetables, tomatoes, herbs and garlic. Cook while stirring until dark brown.
5. Add the shank back to the pot, then add the wine and stock. The liquid should be 3/4 covering the shank. Depending on the size, add more or less liquid.
6. Place in the oven at 250 for about 4 hours depending on the size.
7. Remove the shank when tender and strain the liquid.
8. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce on high until syrupy. Reduce to about 1/3 the starting amount.
(Copyright 2013 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)