Tuesday, June 18 2013, 09:06 AM MDT
Individual Baked Alaskas
As aired on March 18, 2013
Recipe courtesy of Brandon Howard, La Caille
1 loaf Pound or Sponge Cake
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
6 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 ounces sugar
1) Slice the pound cake loaf into 1/2-inch slices. With a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut pound cake into 6 individual portions and place on a cookie sheet.
2) Place a medium scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of each round cake slices.
3) Freeze cake and ice cream until very hard, at least 1 hour.
4) While the ice cream freezes, make your meringue.
5) Preheat the oven to broil and place a rack 8 inches from the top of the oven. A torch can be used for this step.
6) In an electric mixer with the whip attachment, on medium speed, beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks.
7) Continue to beat and add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
8) Whip until meringue has reached stiff peaks.
9) Place meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a petite star tip.
10) Remove the ice cream from the freezer.
11) Quickly pipe the meringue evenly over the ice cream, covering completely.
12) Place in the broiler and broil just until tops are browned, about 2 minutes.
13) Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Garnish with fresh berries or desert sauce of choice.