As aired on March 20, 2012
Recipe courtesy of Sean Rogerswww.mariecallenders.comTips for the Perfect Coconut Cream Pie:
1. Start with a great crust. It must be flakey like Marie Callender's and have the right ratio of flour to shortening. You can also find the Marie Callender's crust, which is the next best thing to our fresh-made crust, in your grocer’s freezer. Pre-bake the pie shell and cool it.
2. Make fresh pastry cream using whole milk, sugar, a pinch of salt, starch, egg yolks and vanilla (extract or vanilla bean)
3. While the cream is still warm, fold in shredded and sweetened coconut. Warm cream helps extract the coconut flavor.
4. Fill pre-baked pie shell and chill.
5. Top with freshly whipped cream or meringue.
6. Make the pie the day you are going to eat it to ensure freshness.
7. And, if you don't want to be stuck in the kitchen making your own pies this holiday season, then simply visit a Marie Callender’s restaurant and take-home one of your favorite pies.