Monday, November 18 2013, 08:04 AM MST
Stuffed Acorn Squash
As Aired on October 28, 2013
Recipe Courtesy Krista Numbers, Simplify Supper
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups brown rice
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sage leaves
1/2 lb sausage, maple flavored sausage
2 medium squash, acorn squash
1 tsp thyme
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Halve squash from stem to point and scoop out the pulp and seeds.
3. Drizzle a baking pan with a bit of olive oil, then place squash, cut side down, on pan and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until squash is tender.
4. Remove from oven
5. Brown sausage in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. It may be necessary to drizzle some olive oil in the pan to keep sausage from sticking.
6. Remove from pan and place in a mixing bowl.
7. Reduce Heat to low and saute onions until softened or around 7 minutes.
8. Add to bowl with the sausage.
9. Toss in cooked brown rice, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, and cheese. Mix well.
10. Scoop out all but 1/2 inch of flesh from the squash. Place squash in the bowl with the sausage mixture and stir well.
11. Divide stuffing between four squash shells, mounding slightly.
12. Top with additional cheese if desired and place on baking sheet.
13. Return pan to oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and filling is hot throughout.
14. Serve immediately.
(Copyright 2013 - Sinclair Broadcasting Group)