Tuesday, June 18 2013, 10:48 AM MDT
Carrot Soup With Coriander
As Aired On February 26, 2013
Recipe Courtesy Chef Bryan Woolley
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon ground coriander and 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander, divided use
1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in 1 tablespoon coriander. Stir in the carrots, water, orange juice, and salt. Reduce the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the carrots are very tender.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and remaining 1/8 teaspoon coriander. Set aside.
4. In a food processor or blender (vent the blender lid), process the soup in batches until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice.
5. Top each serving with a dollop of the sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with the cilantro.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Recipes for the Heart, Copyright © 2013 by the American Heart Association.