Tuesday, July 9 2013, 06:13 PM MDT
Esterhazy Braised Steak
As aired on July 9, 2013
Recipe courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
6 ½-pound club steaks
6 T butter, bacon fat or beef drippings
3 large onions, chopped
2 sliced carrots (optional)
2 stalks celery, sliced (optional)
2 T sweet paprika
1 T vinegar
½ to 1 cup water
½ to ¾ cup sour cream
1. Pound steaks lightly to flatten them a little and then sprinkle on both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Heat butter in a large heavy skillet with a tight-fitting lid and when bubbling subsides, brown steaks lightly.
3. Remove steaks and fry onions, and any other vegetables you care to use, until golden brown.
4. Stir over a low flame so they will brown evenly without burning.
5. Add paprika and sauté a minute or two.
6. Return steaks to pan and add vinegar and water.
7. Cover pan and simmer slowly but steadily 1 hour, or until steak is tender. Add more water if necessary as meat cooks.
8. Remove steaks to a heated platter.
9. Strain sauce and purée vegetables through a sieve.
10. Skim excess fat from sauce, return to pan and stir in sour cream.
11. Check for seasoning.
12. Return steak to sauce, heat a minute or two but do not boil.