Tuesday, August 20 2013, 05:37 PM MDT
Maja's Sarma (Dolmades)
As aired on August 20, 2013
Recipe courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
1 jar grape leaves
2 lbs lean hamburger (can use any kind of ground meat or fish)
1 cup uncooked, washed rice
1 lg. onion, thinly sliced
1/2 bunch Italian parsley, chopped finely
1 tbsp dill
1 tbsp basil
2 tsp lemon zest
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix hamburger , rice, chopped onions, parsley, basil, dill and lemon zest.
2. Using the grape leaf with the vine or rough side facing up, place a small handful of meat mixture on the leaf at the top where the stem was. Fold down top of leaf over meat once and then fold in the sides of the leaf and continue to roll.
3. Place rolled Dolma (grape leaves) with the ends underneath in the pot. After you have completed one layer of Dolma,
4. Continue rolling the leaves until you have finished using all the meat mixture. You should have approximately 3 layers.
5. Pour enough cold water to slightly cover the newly wrapped dolmades.
6. Cook on a medium heat until it starts to boil, then turn down heat so that it continues to simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
7. Check pot occasionally to make sure it hasn’t boiled dry. If needed, add additional water.
8. When finished cooking, the grape leaves will be soft enough to cut with a fork.