Tuesday, March 25 2014, 10:50 AM MDT
Italian Stuffed Tomatoes with Fresh Lemon Mayonnaise and Tuna
As aired on September 4, 2013
Recipe courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
4 large tomatoes
2 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/3 cup olive oil
1 can of tuna, drained
1/4 cup capers
1/3 cup chopped Italian Parsley
1/4 cup chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the tops of the large tomatoes and scoop out the seeds.
2. Divide the sun dried tomato paste between the 4 tomatoes and spread it around the inside of the hollowed out tomatoes.
3. Place the tomatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet and into a 400 degree oven (preheated) for about 10 -15 minutes.
4. While the tomatoes are roasting make the the mayonnaise by combining the egg yolks and lemon zest in a food processor and blend together. With the machine running slowly pour in the olive oil to create an emulsion (mayonnaise).
5. When the tomatoes have sufficiently roasted (should still be able to hold there shape) remove and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
6. While the tomatoes are cooling, fold the tuna, capers, Italian parsley, and chopped green onions into the mayonnaise.
7. Spoon the tuna mixture into the roasted tomatoes. You can cover and chill the tomatoes and serve them chilled or place them back into the oven for about 5 minutes and serve them hot. Enjoy!