Wednesday, September 25 2013, 06:20 PM MDT
Beef Sandwich with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
As aired on September 25, 2013
Recipe courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
1 ranch steak (2 pounds)
2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
4-5 sun dried tomatoes, rehydrated and chopped
1/3 cup sour cream
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
2 cups spinach
1 loaf french bread
olive oil as needed
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large saute pan on the stove and add enough olive oil to lighlty coat the bottom of the pan.
2. Mix the sour cream and chopped sun dried tomatoes together, salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
3. Sprinkle the ranch steak with salt, pepper, freshly chopped thyme, and minced garlic. Press the herbs and spices onto the steak. Pan sear the steak for about 6-10 minutes (4-5 minutes on each side) or until the desired doneness is reach. Remove from the pan and set aside to rest.
4. Add the onions to the saute pan and cook for about 5 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to the onions. Continue cooking until the onions caramelize (about 5 more minutes).
5. Slice the french bread into slices and carve the ranch steak into thin strips for the sandwich. Spread the sour cream mixture onto the french bread slices followed by the spinach, steak strips and caramelized onions. Close the sandwich with another slice4 of french bread. Serve with chips and enjoy!