Wednesday, December 18 2013, 05:25 PM MST
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole and Biscuits
As Aired on December 18, 2013
Recipe Courtesy Chef Bryan Woolley
3 cups cooked chicken meat cut into pieces
3 medium potatoes
3 cups mixed vegetables
2 cups sour cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
8 tbsp butter
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1 chicken bullion cube
1 tbsp dried dill
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel (if needed) and chop the potatoes into bite size pieces. Place the chopped potatoes in a large bowl with cold water and set aside until ready to use.
2. Melt the butter in a sauté pan and add the flour to create a roux. Whisk in the milk, cheddar cheese, poppy seeds, bullion cube, dill, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool for about ten minutes.
3. Add the chopped chicken to a large bowl and add the sour cream, cooled white sauce, drained potatoes, and the mixed vegetables. Mix together and set aside.
4. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with vegetable spray.
5. Spread the chicken mixture in the prepared pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
6. After about 45 minutes, remove the casserole dish from the oven and top with freshly prepared buttermilk biscuits. Brush the biscuits with milk and sprinkle with garlic powder and shredded cheese. If desired, simply bake the biscuits separately and serve with the casserole.
7. Continue baking for 10-15 additional minutes to brown up the biscuits.
8. Remove from the oven and allow the casserole to sit for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!