Monday, February 3 2014, 05:22 PM MST
Beef Pot Pie
As Aired on February 3, 2014
Recipe Courtesy Chef Bryan Woolley
2 pounds beef pieces
1 large onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
1. Heat a large sauté pan and add just enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
2. Saute onions and garlic until fragrant. Add beef and thoroughly cook.
3. Add frozen vegetables and continue sautéing for about 6 minutes or until tender.
4. Add Italian seasoning and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Mix flour and milk together thoroughly and add to chicken. Bring to a boil and allow to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Cool in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
6. Transfer cooled beef mixture into prepared pie shell. I like to simply roll out the pie dough on a floured parchment paper work surface and spoon the cooled filling onto the center of the rolled out pie dough. Fold the edges of the pie dough over on top of the filling. Lift the parchment paper up with the formed beef pie and transfer to a baking sheet.
7. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until golden.
Savory Pie Crust:
1 stick of butter, cut into pieces (keep very very cold)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sage
1/2 cup iced water
1. Add butter, flour, salt and sage into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Remove from the food processor bowl and transfer to a large stainless steel bowl. Add water and mix together using a fork and then your hand. Only mix just until combined.
3. Refrigerate until chilled.
4. Divide dough in half and roll out on a floured surface to desired thickness. Line your favorite pie dish. Do the same with the top crust but be sure to cut steam vents in the dough.