Tuesday, February 18 2014, 05:07 PM MST
As Aired on February 18, 2014
Recipe Courtesy Chef Bryan Woolley
2 cups water
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp instant yeast
2 tbsp dry basil
3 cups flour
1 tbsp salt
1. Add water, olive oil, instant yeast, basil, three cups of flour, and the salt into the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until ingredients pull together into a dough mass. If needed, add additional flour as needed to pull together into a dough mass.
2. Add salt and enough of the remaining flour to pull the mass into a soft dough and knead for 5 minutes.
3. Allow dough to double.
1 cup sliced onions
2 garlic cloves minced
1 cup beef sausage
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tomato, deseeded and sliced
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 cups prepared marinara sauce
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll each one out into a rectangle.
2. Add a small amount of olive oil to a sauté pan and add the onions and garlic. Sauté for about one minute.
3. Add the sausage and cook completely.
4. Add the sliced mushrooms and tomato; cook for an additional minute. Set aside until ready to use.
5. Spread ½ cup of sauce onto each of the calzones. Leave space all the way around the calzone to allow for sealing of the dough.
6. Spread the filling between the four pieces of dough.
7. Fold dough over onto itself and seal by pinching the edges together.
8. Brush the tops with an egg wash and slit a steam vent on top.
9. Bake in a 475 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.