Friday, March 14 2014, 06:20 PM MDT
Corned Beef and Cabbage
As Aired on March 14, 2014
Recipe courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
Corning Your Beef Brisket:
1 - 3 pound brisket
1 cup kosher salt
4 cups cold water
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp whole cloves
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tbsp whole allspice berries
1 tbsp mustard seed
2 cinnamon sticks (if desired)
1/2 wedge green cabbage, cut into serving size wedges
6 cups Klondike Gourmet Medley Potatoes
1. In a large bowl stir together the salt and water until dissolved. Add the brisket, bay leaves, peppercorns, whole cloves, garlic, allspice berries, mustard seeds, and cinnamon sticks. Tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to ten days. Be sure to check the beef and rotate it daily.
Cooking your Corned Beef and Cabbage:
1. Rinse your corned beef and place in a large heavy bottom pot. Cover with cool clean water and bring to a boil. Skim off any residue that may form and then add the spices again from the above...bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, smashed garlic, allspice berries, mustard seeds, and cinnamon sticks.
2. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 1 hour per pound of meat.
3. The last 20 minutes of cooking add the cabbage wedges and the Klondike Gourmet Medley Potatoes. Continue cooking until the potatoes are tender.
4. Remove brisket, cabbage and potatoes. Serve on a large platter with your favorite mustard or horseradish sauce. Enjoy!!
(Copyright 2014 - Sinclair Broadcasting Group)