Tuesday, June 18 2013, 11:47 AM MDT
As aired on April 3, 2012
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
1 cup flour
1/3 cup corn starch
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp table salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 ¼ cups cold club soda
assorted vegetables, shrimp, fish, small thinly sliced chicken pieces or beef
1. Heat oil to 350 degree’s before you begin to mix the tempura batter.
2. In a medium size bowl combine all the dry ingredients and whisk them together.
3. Add cold club soda and stir in with a fork. Batter will be very runny and may have some lumps in it. Don’t over mix the batter.
4. When oil is heated to 375 degree’s begin frying your batter dipped vegetables. Be careful not to crowd them or add to many vegetables at once to the hot oil. This will cool the oil down and cause your tempera to be greasy.
5. Serve while hot.
Soy Sauce with Fresh Ginger
¼ cup soy sauce
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp hot chile sesame oil or toasted sesame oil
1 green onion sliced
juice of ½ a lime
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Let sauce sit for 10 minutes and serve.
(Copyright 2012 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)