(KUTV) – A Roy teen faces 22 felony charges regarding an exchange of nude pictures that prosecutors say involved a fake Facebook profile.
James Wood, 18, was charged Monday morning with 11 felony counts of sexual exploitation of minor and 12 felony counts of dealing in harmful material to a minor by an adult.
2News has protected the identities of two victims who say they sent nude pictures to Wood. Both victims are now 18, but were minors at the time they sent the pictures. Prosecutors say Wood was 18 when he solicited nude photos from 11 victims between December 2016 and February 2017.
“Every day it would be a message and another message and another message,” a teen victim said. “He knew what he was doing was completely illegal and wrong.”
Another victim said he got involved with Wood after accepting a friend request from a girl named “Jessica Ford.”
“I thought I recognized the girl, because I did, he was using someone else’s photo,” the victim said.
After chatting online, the teen boy sent nude pictures to the account of “Jessica Ford.” He tells 2News the requests for more nude photos became aggressive.
“I was like, ‘if you don’t leave me alone I will get the police involved’,” the teen said. “[Wood] said, ‘if you even try and get the police involved I will post them right now.”
The teen stopped messaging Wood and later found out from detectives that he was actually messaging his classmate, James Wood.
“It was a sickening feeling. I was like ‘really? You had to do that?’, I was like, ‘do you know how many people you just hurt?’,” the teen told 2News.
Prosecutors say Wood threatened to distribute the teen’s nude photos as a way of enticing the victims to send more.
Wood was a student at Roy High School, but graduated last year, according to the Weber School District. The school district did not comment on the case and referred 2News to Roy Police.
Roy Police investigators allege Wood showed other students the nude pictures at Roy High School and also sent a photo of a minor to the minor’s siblings, according to a probable cause statement.
“What he did was absolutely wrong, and he deserves everything that happens,” the teen victim said.
The victims who spoke to 2News say they hope by sharing their story they can warn other teens to prevent being caught up in a situation involving nude pictures on the internet.
“Never, ever do it, it just, never do I, it can not only hurt you, it can hurt other people,” a teen victim said.
Wood is scheduled to appear by video for an arraignment in Second District Court Tuesday morning.