- 2 pounds of nuts of your choice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TB Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp mace
- 1 pound Phyllo dough
- 1 pound melted butter
- whole cloves
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- Peel of one Orange
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grind nuts from medium to fine texture as desired, add sugar and spices reserving Whole Cloves for later use. Mix ingredients well, set off to side.
- Brush baking pan with butter and start laying phyllo to line the pan, brushing each layer generously with filling until 1st second complete
- Use 1/3 nut mixture to lay on top of phyllo
- Top layer of phyllo should use the best and smoothest sheets for final layers making sure all layers are well buttered
- Pre-cut pan before cooking. Traditional shapes of Baklava are diamond shapes, made from various cutting methods.
- Insert a whole clove in each piece.
When pan is lightly golden brown on top, pour 3/4 of syrup over entire pan. Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir the remaining syrup on low heat, adding lemon juice and vanilla extract. Pour over entire pan, then let cool 2 hours