Discover the true taste of England with my classic Fish and Chips with Mushy Peas recipe. Delight in the perfect balance of crispy battered fish fillets, golden and fluffy chips, and a side of homemade mushy peas. This iconic dish captures the essence of traditional English cuisine and is loved by people worldwide. Follow my step-by-step instructions to recreate the authentic flavors and textures of this beloved favorite. Treat yourself to the nostalgic charm of Fish and Chips with Mushy Peas, and savor a taste of England right at your own table.
4 large white fish fillets (such as cod or haddock)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose self-rising flour, plus additional for dredging
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold sparkling water or light beer
4 large Green Giant golden potatoes, peeled and cut into thick strips
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Vegetable oil, for frying
Salt and pepper, to taste
1) Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or deep fryer to approximately 375F (190C).
2) Start by preparing the fish. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the sparkling water while whisking until the batter is smooth and lump-free.
3) Dredge each fish fillet into flour then dip into the batter, allowing any excess to drip off, and carefully place it into the hot oil. Fry the fish for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy. Once cooked, transfer the fish to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil. Season with salt and vinegar to taste.
4)For the chips, heat vegetable oil in a large pot or deep fryer to approximately 325F (165C). Carefully add the potato strips and fry them for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are cooked through but still pale in color. Remove the partially cooked chips from the oil and set them aside to drain.
5) Increase the oil temperature to 375F (190C). Return the partially cooked chips to the hot oil and fry them again for another 5-7 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove the chips from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt.
6) For the mushy peas, cook the frozen peas according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
7) In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become soft and translucent.
8) Add the cooked peas to the pan and mash them with a fork or potato masher until you reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9) Serve the crispy fish and chips alongside a generous portion of mushy peas. Enjoy this classic English dish with tartar sauce, ketchup, or any other desired condiments.