Looking for a showy dessert cookie for a party, well look no further. French macaroons are actually very easy to make and the fillings are as varied as your imagination.
2/3 cups almond meal (flour)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 large egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Prepared jam of your choice
1) Sift the almond meal and powdered sugar through a fine sifter into a large bowl and set aside.
2) Add the egg whites to your mixer and whisk until frothy. While the machine is running on low, add the sugar slowly until it is fully incorporated and the vanilla extract.
3) Turn the machine on to high and whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
4) Fold the almond meal mixture into the egg whites in two batches until fully incorporated. If desired add food coloring to color the meringue for special occasions.
5) The texture of the macaron batter should not be too stiff but not runny, should be easy to pipe.
6) Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat silicone mat.
7) Pipe 12-16 inch circles onto the prepared baking sheet and set them aside for about 15 minutes or until a film begins to form on the top of the meringue.
8) Preheat your oven to 280 degree’s and place the macarons into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until set and cooked through.
9) Remove from the oven, let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet. Once cooled, remove and fill with your favorite filling, sandwich to macaroons together, arrange, serve and enjoy!