Gingerbread is delicious and fills the house with the aroma of the holidays. This is an easy recipe that can be made into muffins or loaf bread.
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 heaping tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup softened butter
3/4 cup molasses
1 cup boiling water
Cream Cheese Frosting: 1 - 8 ounce package cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract
Can milk as needed for consistency
1) Preheat oven to 350 degree’s.
2) In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, ground allspice, ground cloves, and salt. Whisk everything together to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
3) In a large mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, butter and eggs together until combined.
4) Mix the dry ingredients along with the egg mixture. Add the molasses and boiling water and mix everything together until well blended.
5) Spray two bread pans with vegetable spray and divide the batter between the two prepared bread pans.
6) Place the bread pans on a baking sheet and into your preheated oven. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the gingerbread loaf.
7) Remove the gingerbread loaves from the oven when fully baked (leave them in the bread pans) and place them on a cooling rack. Let the loaves cool for about 20 minutes in the pans.
8) Remove the loaves from the pans and allow them to cool completely on a cooling rack before frosting.
9) To make the frosting, add the cream cheese frosting into your food processor bowl. Blend everything together until smooth. If needed use a little canned milk or milk for consistency.
10) Once the gingerbread loaves are completely cooled, frost with your cream cheese frosting. Serve and Enjoy!