Love butter cookies and they come in many forms. Every country has a version of this delicious cookie so enjoy the flavors of Greece with this cookie favorite.
1 pound sweet butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped almonds
2 egg yolks
5 cups cake flour
2 ounces brandy*
Topping: 1 cup powdered sugar
1) Keep the butter at room temperature for about 2-3 hours to soften before using.
2) Place butter in a large bowl and whip well, until white and fluffy (about 10 min-15 min). This is an important step!
3) Add powdered sugar and beat until light colored. Add the egg yolks and beat together thoroughly.
4) Sift flour and baking powder together and slowly fold them into butter mixture. Add the almonds and brandy and knead together with your hands. The mixture should be soft, but shouldn’t stick to your fingers.
5) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough and form into tablespoon-sized balls or crescent shapes. Repeat until all the dough is used.
6) Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, until the bottom of cookies are golden brown.
7) Remove from oven. While the cookies are still warm, roll them into a plate of powdered sugar. Place on a cooling rack to cool. Dust with another layer of powdered sugar. Enjoy!
8) Note: The cookies can also be stored in airtight containers for up to two weeks if kept in a cool place. You can also freeze the cookies and serve later. *Instead of brandy you can use a different kind of whiskey, or orange juice for sweetness.