This Mac and Cheese with Cheesy Flatbread recipe is a crowd-pleasing comfort food. Created by Chef Bryan Woolley, it combines creamy mac and cheese with irresistible cheesy flatbread. The recipe features a golden crust and melted cheese topping on the flatbread, perfectly complementing the velvety cheese sauce coating the pasta. A refreshing Watermelon Green Salad adds a vibrant touch to the meal. Enjoy this delicious and easy-to-make dish for a memorable dining experience.
For the Cheesy Bread: 7 1/2 cups bread flour
3 cups water
4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups shredded cheese for topping
For the Mac and Cheese: 1 package of your choice of pasta
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk plus one can of canned milk
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 cups shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Watermelon Green Salad: 6 cups mixed greens
4 cups cubed watermelon
Dressing of choice
1) Cheesy Bread: In the bowl of your mixer, combine the bread flour, salt, olive oil, water, and yeast.
2) Mix and knead everything together for about 15 minutes until the dough is well-combined and elastic.
3) Cover the dough and let it double in size.
4) Take portions of the dough and roll them out into 6-inch rounds. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
5) Bake the rounds in a preheated 450F (230C) oven for about 12 minutes or until the crust is golden.
6) Remove from the oven, let cool, and cut into strips to serve with the mac and cheese and watermelon green salad.
7) Mac and Cheese: Cook the pasta according to the manufacturer's instructions. If using a pasta machine, follow the instructions for making macaroni. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
8) Heat a large sauté pan on the stove. Add the butter and melt, then whisk in the flour to combine.
9) Pour the milk/can milk, mustard and Worcestershire sauce into the pan and gently whisking, bring it to a boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to thicken the sauce.
10) Add the shredded cheese to the sauce, stirring until melted and well-combined.
11) Add the cooked and drained pasta to the cheese sauce. Gently fold together to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
12) Watermelon Green Salad: Divide the mixed greens between serving plates and top with the cubed watermelon.
13) Drizzle with your choice of dressing, such as a simple vinaigrette.
14) Serve the freshly made mac and cheese with the watermelon green salad and cheesy bread sticks.
15) Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese.