Pita bread is the perfect side for any meal. Create your favorite salads and fill the pita bread for a delicious luncheon.
2 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp instant yeast
1 1/4 cups water
1) To a large bowl add the flours, salt, sugar, olive oil and yeast. Using your hand mix together to combine.
2) Add the water and mix with your hands until it pulls together in a dough mass.
3) Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth. If needed use a little more flour on work work surface while your are kneading. The dough with be tacky.
4) When the dough is smooth, shape in to a ball and transfer to a bowl sprayed with vegetable spray, lightly spray the dough and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough double in size.
5) Divide into 10 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Once all pieces are shaped, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
6) Roll each dough piece into a 6-7 inch round. Should be fairly thin (1/4 inch or less). Roll each one out and cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rest for 15 minutes.
7) Heat a large skillet on the stove. Place each pita onto the heated skillet for about 1 minutes on each side making sure each side is golden brown.
8) Remove from the skillet and serve with your favorite fillings or sides. Enjoy!