Transport your taste buds to the vibrant streets of Puerto Rico with this delightful Puerto Rican Dinner recipe. Tender chicken drumsticks are coated in a flavorful blend of prepared sofrito, salt, and pepper before being baked to perfection. The accompanying simmered pinto beans, infused with bacon, sofrito, and aromatic seasonings, add layers of savory goodness. Don’t forget the crispy fried plantain bananas, offering a touch of tropical flair. Serve this mouthwatering dish with fluffy rice, creamy avocado slices, and prepare to savor the rich flavors of Puerto Rican cuisine in the comfort of your own home.
8-10 chicken drumsticks
2 tbsp prepared sofrito
6 cups cooked rice
3-4 ripe plantain bananas
Oil for frying
Sliced ripe avocado
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Beans: 4 strips bacon, cut into pieces
1/4 cup sofrito, Goya
1 tbsp ham bullion, Goya
1 pkg Sazón, Goya
3 cups cooked pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
1) Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the drumsticks are cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside.
2) To prepare the beans, brown the bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium heat.
3) Add the sofrito, ketchup, ham bullion, and sazón seasoning to the skillet. Stir everything together to combine the flavors.
4) Add the cooked pinto beans and 1 1/2 cups of water to the skillet. Mix well to ensure all the ingredients are incorporated.
5) Simmer the bean mixture for about 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
6) While the beans are simmering, make sure you have ripe plantain bananas. The husk should be discolored, resembling a really ripe banana.
7) Slice the plantain bananas and heat a frying pan with about 1/2 inch of oil.
8) Fry the plantain slices in the hot oil until they turn golden and crispy on both sides.
9) Once fried, remove the plantain slices from the pan and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
10) To serve the Puerto Rican dinner, arrange a portion of cooked rice on each plate.
11) Place a few chicken drumsticks on top of the rice.
12) Add a scoop of the simmered beans alongside the drumsticks.
13) Garnish the plate with slices of ripe avocado and the fried plantain banana slices.
14) Serve the Puerto Rican dinner while still hot and enjoy!