Butter, caramel and walnuts make everyone happy. When combined they are a little pieces of Swiss heaven!
For the Dough: 3 cups flour
1 cup butter, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
pinch of salt
1 large egg
1/3 - 1/2 cup water
For the Filling: 2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup honey
juice from one lemon
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 cups chopped walnuts
1) To make the dough; place the flour, butter, sugar, lemon zest and salt into your food processor and pulse to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal.
2) Add enough water to create a dough. I would start with 1/3 cup or less and add as needed to get the dough consistency that resembles a sugar cookie dough.
3) Place the dough in-between two pieces of parchment and roll into a disk. Place in the refrigerator to firm up for about an hour.
4) While the dough is in the refrigerator, make the filling by combine the sugar, water, honey and lemon juice into a large heavy bottom sauce pan. Gently stir and bring to a boil. If needed, brush down the sides of the pan with water to wash down any sugar crystals that may have found there way up onto the sides of the pan.
5) Let the sugar solution start to change color and when you start to see an amber color, add the chopped walnuts and cream.
6) The hot caramel mixture will seize up but gently work the cream into it and bring it back up to a boil and stirring gently to cook it to a dark caramel color. This whole process shouldn’t take any longer than about 15 minutes (give or take).
7) Let the caramel nut mixture cool and set aside.
8) Preheat your oven to 350 degree’s.
9) Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 2/3 portion (for the bottom crust) and a 1/3 portion (for the top crust).
10) Roll the bottom crust portion out on a lightly floured work surface and transfer it to an 8 inch spring form pan pressing the dough into the corners and up the sides of the pan.
11) Transfer the cooled nut caramel mixture to the torte. Roll out the top crust and transfer to the top of the torte. Fold the edges of the dough over onto the top crust and lightly press to seal with a fork. Brush with an egg wash if desired.
12) Place in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the crust begins to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the freshly made torte cool completely before removing it from the spring form pan. Serve and Enjoy!