SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) The Netflix show '13 Reasons Why' is really popular right now, but it's raising questions about teen suicide.
Child and family therapist Clair Mellenthin joins Fresh Living today to talk about how to talk to your teen about this sensitive subject.
“This is important for parents to understand what the show is about and talk to their kids about suicide and bullying,” Mellenthin explained. “Utah has the highest rates of suicide in the nation.”
5 Questions For Parents to Ask Their Teen:
- What do you understand about the show?
- Were there aspects of the show that you personally related to?
- Is there anything I can do to help support you in understanding the realities of suicide?
- Have you ever had thoughts like this yourself?
- Can you help me understand them?
- Is there anything I can do for you?
Resources for parents and teens: National Suicide Prevention Life Line 1-800-273-TALK The Utah Crisis Line 1-801-587-3000 The Trevor Project (LGBTQ Youth) 1-866-488-7386
For more information visit her website ClairMellenthin.com
Or if you feel like your teen needs help, visit WasatchFamilyTherapy.com