(KUTV) We don’t often think of our homes as being a dangerous place for children, but there are some household hazards that can cause three common injuries: suffocation, burns, and falls.
“Suffocation can either be strangulation or choking,” said Jessica Strong, Community Outreach Manager with Intermountain Primary Children’s Hospital.
Anything from a small toy to a piece of food can be a choking hazard. Strong recommends young children avoid hard, round foods such as cut up hot dogs, hard candies, and grapes.
Window blind cords are also dangerous. This includes both looped cords and cords that are tied. These pose an accidental risk of becoming wrapped around a child’s neck.
There are many places in the home a child can get burned – fires, hot liquids, and hot appliances like curling irons and hot pans. When cooking on the stove, use back burners and turn pan handles away from the edge. It’s also a good idea to use stove knob covers.
“You just pop this open. You can pull off the stove handle, put the device on and put your handle back on and then it just closes tight so the kids can’t turn the stove on,” Strong said.
If you use hair tools – remember to turn them off and keep out of a child’s reach.
“Curling irons, flat irons, blow dryers – all these things get really hot, they’re very tempting, and they have a great long cord that kids can pull – resulting in burns,” Strong said.
“Anytime there is a place that a child can climb up on or have something fall on top of them, we want to be aware of those areas in the home,” Strong said.
To reduce this risk:
- Install safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs
- Always buckle your child during meals
- Move furniture away from windows
- Make sure anything heavy such as dressers and TVs are anchored to the wall