Paul Swenson, previously missing, identified as man found Sunday in Mill Creek

No sign of missing father on fifth day of search (Photo: KUTV)

(KUTV) The body of missing Utah man Paul Heiner Swenson has been found. Police confirmed the body discovered Sunday, floating in Mill Creek, has been identified as Swenson.

On the Facebook page Bring Paul Home, his family broke the news just before 5 p.m. Monday. South Salt Lake police confirmed that a short time later with a press release.

"Our family has learned the heart-wrenching news that the body of our beloved Paul Heiner Swenson has been found. We are deeply pained to have our most dreaded fear confirmed," the family wrote. "We have been working with law enforcement closely over the past weeks as they search for answers. Thank you for your prayers for Paul and our whole family."

The family asked for privacy to mourn and absorb the tragic news. They also asked the community to pray for them and expressed gratitude for its support.

Police said Monday the medical examiner identified the body and said there was "no obvious sign of foul play." The cause of death is still under investigation by the medical examiner's office.

Swenson's body was found Sunday around 4 p.m., near 135 W., 2950 South. Police said the body had been lodged in some debris.

Swenson was last seen around 3 p.m.. on July 27, at his home in American Fork, Utah. He was believed to have been suffering from a medical condition. Swenson entered a family vehicle and left toward Salt Lake County for an appointment, but did not arrive at the location to which he was traveling.

Swenson’s family was later able to determine that he had been in the area of 4700 South, 900 East at one point during the evening of July 27. Swenson’s cell phone has reportedly been turned off.

Police found his black 2016 BMW X6 abandoned at an elementary school in Salt Lake in the area of 1500 South, 1028 West.

Inside police found items such as backpacks, a cell phone and clothing which the family said doesn't belong to Swenson. That's why police considered it suspicious in nature.

"We don't know if someone else was in the vehicle with him just prior to or the vehicle been stolen from him," said Sgt. Josh Christensen with American Fork Police Department on July 31.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off