Body of Utah's Maj. Brent Taylor returned to U.S. after death in Afghanistan

    The body of Maj. Brent Taylor are returned to Dover Airfield Base (Photo: Utah National Guard)

    (KUTV) — The body of Utah mayor, Maj. Brent Taylor was returned to the United States Tuesday morning, from Afghanistan where he was shot and killed Saturday while he was in service.

    Taylor was on a one year absence as the mayor of North Ogden while he served as a military intelligence officer when a trainee fatally shot him. His remains were transported to Dover Airfield Base in Delaware in what the Utah National Guard called the dignified transfer of his remains. Military troops carried the body from a plane to a waiting van.

    His widow, Jennie Taylor, spoke to the press Tuesday morning from Camden, Delaware. The couple had seven children together.

    Maj. Gen. Jefferson S. Burton, adjutant general of the Utah National Guard, previously said Taylor's mission was to train the national army of Afghanistan.

    Residents in North Ogden continued to pay their respects for Taylor with a temporary memorial at Taylor’s Banner on Heroes Boulevard.

    “Brent, he is a true American and we have lost a hero,” said Toby Mileski, one of Taylor's best friends.

    Taylor became mayor of North Ogden in 2013.

    Taylor had served in the National Guard for 15 years and four deployments. Taylor served two tours in Iraq and was on his second tour in Afghanistan.

    It is anticipated Weber State University's Dee Events Center will host the funeral for Taylor, expected to draw a large number of people. It is not yet known when his funeral will take place.

    North Ogden's City Council held an emergency meeting Monday night to discuss what will happen next for the city's government after its mayor's death. The city is also planning a vigil for its leader.

    An Afghan pilot who served with Taylor, wrote a letter to the soldier's family. It is reprinted below.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...